Vibration sensor (how to choose the right one)

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
Hi,

I have purchased a light bar for my brother. He wants it on his door to let people know if they are knocking as he tends to lock his door. Only problem was, the vibration sensor was too sensitive. So Ive been searching for information on these sensors and how to find a less sensitive one and have come up with nothing... Wondering if someone could maybe point me in the right direction?

The sensor it came with was a SW-200D.

Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The SW-200D is a tilt switch. Try re-orienting it. At a different angle it may have the response you need.

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
A microphone?
You mean a microphone sensor?

The SW-200D is a tilt switch. Try re-orienting it. At a different angle it may have the response you need.
I did try, didnt get anywhere. I did find the same type of item (what do you call bits that you soldier to a circuit board, is there a general name?) SW-18020P and also a SW-520D. Any idea on how they differ?
Is there any other kind of "item" (device?) that could suit this application?

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
Yes yes, components is the word I was looking for :p

I guess the push-bell is a reasonable way to go. Would have been cooler if it worked on sensing a knock, but Ill settle :p

Thanks

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
My thought was to attach a small microphone to the back of the door to detect someone knocking - you would need an amp and some other circuit (e.g. schmitt trigger) to turn this into an "on/off" signal

shezza

Joined Mar 19, 2014
My thought was to attach a small microphone to the back of the door to detect someone knocking - you would need an amp and some other circuit (e.g. schmitt trigger) to turn this into an "on/off" signal
Oh, that could work... but far too sophisticated. Thanks anyway :)