VFD and magnetic coil help needed!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ElectromagnetNewbee, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I purchased this VFD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRRQID6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am trying to power an electromagnetic copper coil using this VFD, that is it! Im NOT connecting it to any motor, just experimenting with sign waves and coils and ****. but im having some problems setting things up?

First, there is 3 output terminals... cant i just use 2 for connecting the coil?

Also, when I did connect the coil to the 2 connection/terminals, the VFD instantly went into an 'error mode' and stopped working? What was the problem here you think?

does anyone have experience with VFD? they are kind of a bitch to work with!

2. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    So the error code is "DL" which says "output short curcuit" when i connect the coil?

I only have 2 of the 3 out output terminals connected? Im thinking I need to maybe connect all 3 but not sure where the 3rd connection would connect too since im just connecting to a copper coil?

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Unfortunately that was your first mistake, those Huanyang VFD's are not noted for their quality, but mainly VFD's are intended for 3 phase motors, connecting two phases in most cases will detect an error as this is not what it is intended for, For 1 phase experiments, you are much better off to use a Variac for this.
    But if variable frequency is required it will not be suitable, also a VFD is not a pure sine wave, it consists of PWM switched sine wave.
    Max.

ElectromagnetNewbee likes this.
  4. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    so the Variac device will allow me to slow down the sign wave (frequency)? so i can turn 60 hertz into 40 or 30 hertz?! is that correct? if so, then this Variac is exactly what I need?

also, is there anyway to get my VFD to power this coil?

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Sorry a Variac will only vary voltage, which is not what you are looking for, you are most likely going to have a problem getting a VFD to work on two phases unless you use a balanced load across 3 ph somehow.
    Max.

6. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    yes, 'somehow' is the key...!

ya'll are the experts so I will refer to you!?

how can i rig the VFD to power this coil? there has to be some kind of resolution??

7. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    is there any kind of power supply that is hardcoded to run at a lower hertz? like 40 or 30 hertz? so it would plug into 60 hertz line and output 40 or 30 hertz for example... ? this would also work great for me? but im not sure of anything that does that since im so new to electronics. im a software developer not an electrical engineer as you have noticed.

8. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    There are single phase output vfds available, but there are still optimized for PSC motor load.

How much power?
    What is the load impedance?

You might try a search for 1P freq. Converter.
    http://www.50hz.com/Solid/1ph/05KSS6050.html

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Dear ElectromagnetNewBee,
    Would you give a 5 year old a loaded pistol? You will hurt some one. You must study and learn a lot of information before you touch such things. You need to leave that unit alone.

10. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    It might work ok if you put a large resistor in series with the coil.

Then the VFD will not detect a short circuit output.

Large resistors are hard to find, for a simple test you could use a 100W mains light bulb. That will give you about an amp through the coil, which should be in the safe range for that VFD.

11. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    there probably is but sadly i'm thinking on the same lines as BR-549.
    have you tried using a battery instead? you live a lot longer if you start smaller.

12. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Equipment capable of outputting variable frequency voltage is available. BUT

You could probably buy a new car for less $. I have used a unit that delivered up to 15 amps and could select frequencies from 20 Hz to 400 Hz, with output voltages ranging from 10 to 250.

It was all solid state and cost about what I earned in a year. We used it mostly for torture testing universal input power supplies that were installed in jet engine test cells.

Something you might afford $$ would be an audio amplifier of large output power driven with a variable audio generator. Such units expect to see inductive loads anyway.

Worth trying if can scrounge the equipment.

13. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    if you used 3 identical coils the three phase vfd would think they were a motor, but if you are getting a short circuit error, there probably isnt enough inductance in your coil to limit current.

14. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I just tried this setup (i think). I plugged the coil into my Yamiha Audio Amplifier and it 'shorts out'. give me 'cable check' error? So plugging a copper coil into the amp didnt seem to work? does something else need to be done? I just wanted to test it.

Also, a sign wave audio generator sounds like it would work perfect for what im trying to do if I could amplify the signal about 10 or 20 amps? that would work.

what did i do wrong on my Yamiha audio amplifier hookup cause it would not power the copper coil?

15. ElectromagnetNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I was able to power the a coil with the VFD by connecting 1.5 coils. then at least it did NOT short out and turn off!

16. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
    6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service

Bertus

BR-549 and inwo like this.
Thread Status: