Veterans Day

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Amen, Mr Chips.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

I found a website which has the records of some of the war dead from Tongue, where my grandfather's side of the family come from.

His grandfather's brother died. And there's a picture of him. What is incredible is that he is the same age as I am now, he looks just like me. He was killed in Passchendaele in combat where guns were useless. Knives, axes and clubs were the weapons.

And my granny's father was killed in the world war. I have his kilt pin.

So many have died defending us from the black tentacles of evil. Never forget.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
His grandfather's brother died. And there's a picture of him. What is incredible is that he is the same age as I am now, he looks just like me. He was killed in Passchendaele in combat where guns were useless. Knives, axes and clubs were the weapons.
Passchendaele! Have you seen the movie. Sweet lovestory about integrity, loyalty and love.

Iron Mainden has a song called Passcendaele. Good one.

Ealier this year one of Norways most knkown veteran from WWII died. He was over 90 years old and an inspiration to the youg soldiers, as he visited them a lot. After meetings with platoonleaders he alwasy said:"Tell the boys I said hi!"

Kjakan

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Got this in an e-mail from my dad.

He is 82 years old, and e-mailing with his millitary friends, most of them were Admirals, and have served our country for a life time. Both national and in NATO assignments.

"
REMEMBRANCE WEEK
In this period of ceremonies honouring the memory of those of our comrades, including Ex-Cadets, who paid the ultimate price, it is appropriate to note an initiative taken by the population of Ontario in the wake of each and every repatriation of remains.
Advised by radio stations and by social media, thousands of citizens took a moment, often with the approval of their employer, to salute the passage of the funeral convoy.
One can imagine the impact on the family accompanying the deceased.
The slide show was put together not by experts but by a few Department employees moved by the gesture, with a few pictures taken by an amateur. Ensure you activate the sound on your computer, as the music is an important part of the whole.
TDV
"

See attachment. That's what I call loyalty, commitment and respect.

My eyes went wet...

(The file is a ppsx. So you need latest version of Powerpoint, or openoffice, or download and install a file converter... Sorry for that.)

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Reloadron Off-Topic 6
M Off-Topic 9