Very odd looking capacitor.

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Hi I just removed this from my board. It has 6 pins.. each pair has a shorted leg. I'm guessing its broken. The pcb where it mounts would not make sense if these pins where to be shorted. Here is the pic.

Could anyone tell me the value of this capacitor and its type? I made pics from all possible angles.

Best Regards

For all angles of the capacitor:
Album link: photobucket.com/weirdcap

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Hello,

From what did you take the part?
What was the function of the board?

Bertus
Function:
It is a DC servo shunt motor driver board. 190VDC field/armature 4,7A 0,33A. Variable speed with tach and pot input.

This part is located near two SCR. Goes to gate and some resistors near it. It is a bit weird for me to be transformer because I thought it was DC voltage.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Gate drive pulse transformer, to isolate the gate drive circuit from the power circuit?

If so, the winding resistances could be quite low. You might mistake them for short-circuits.

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Gate drive pulse transformer, to isolate the gate drive circuit from the power circuit?

If so, the winding resistances could be quite low. You might mistake them for short-circuits.
So its like an isolating transformer? each pair have low resistance. but crosswise or diagonally there are is no resistance at all. How do I check a pulse transformer? (Without scope)

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
If each of the three pairs has a low resistance, and all other measurements between pairs have infinite resistance, then the pulse transformer is likely OK.

Ken