Very newbie question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sebastian.conrad, Sep 22, 2012.

1. sebastian.conrad

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 22, 2012

I opened a DVD player that is not working and i discovered a damaged component, is like a big resistor but i dont know if it is a resistor or a capacitor. Please, can you help me to determine this? :confused:

This is the component

Thanks and best regards
  2. electron_prince

Sep 19, 2012
    It is a resistor. do you see the color code. (the color bars)? replace it with a resistor which has the same color code.
    sebastian.conrad likes this.
  3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    It's probably the emitter resistor for that big black transistor right behind it which is probably shorted.
  4. sebastian.conrad

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Great, I did not know that resistors could have that sustance inside. Thanks.
  5. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    That substance is melted insulation. Either that or rust, if it's a wire-wound resistor.

When you replace it, you not only have to make sure that the color codes are the same, but you also have to make sure it's has the same wattage rating. Try to match physical sizes and you should be okay.

Oh, and the yellow-brown goo around the bottom is a thermal resistant adhesive. It did not come out of the resistor.
  6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Something else to be aware of.

The laser diode in these cheap DVD players will burn out in short order. They do not last very long. Getting this repaired may be useless if the cause of the disorder is in the laser emitter circuit.

Spend another $25 for a new one is about the best fix for a cheap DVD player.