Very interesting device development (video projector, camera, charging, fingerprint sensor allinone)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Android PC box you couldnt really cannibalize a phone but dismantling the box TV is OK. Same with projector probably remove dc/dc converters or merge them to save on size and weight.

Then you have mainly these problems

Make all working via USB with device drivers and software
Possibly write an app using dev kit on the PC
Do the mechanical work

Ive seen requests like these before for gadgets already on the market.
I saw a clamp on lens for phones but cant say if these are any good.

Bad thing with phone apps are they dont have a CLI or scripting interface and need tapping aka manual input.

If you want to bring size down a lot it will cost you a lot, you could merge the power supplies remove unneccessry things

Well

isnt such a task the intended application of Android box PCs?

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Hey! I just registred here several moments ago because I am currently working on my own project and I've got a lot of questions on electronics, sensors, gadgets right now because the project requires a lot of knowledge in it but unfortunately I don't have, so I came here. Let's move on the questions.
1. I need to get a pico projector module and install it into a project. In other words, let's imagine that I would like to create a new pico projector, but firstly I need to find the most important element - projector module. Actually I am planning to make a aluminium box (6cm * 6cm * 6cm) and put a video projector and HD wide-angle camera in that box. Maybe all electronics (without battery) couldn't fit inside in that small box but I wanna tell that box is only for the lenses for both projector and camera. All other electronics may be installed into the tube (4cm in radius and 20cm in lenght). So it is an aluminium tube with a small box attached on top for lenses.
So it is kinda device when you are holding it like a selfie stick but you can see videos on the ground and take videos and photos.
On that stick (aluminium tube where should be 2 buttons for activating eather camera or projector) and I could play videos from mobile phone directly on device (wirelessly) or to plug usb drive (to read files:videos, photos, etc) or to charge electronic devices (battery could be installed in the tube).
2. There should be USB port to charge electric devices or to plug USB drive and read files in order to see a movie directly from usb drive.
3. There is a circle plate on that box (whatever I could call it) to place a mobile phone for wireless charging. Under that plate there should be a fingerprint scanner. So in order to turn on the device(project) I should place a finger on the centre of that circle plate.

I would appreaciate very much if someone could help me to get it off the ground and move further. I could give some contacts as skype, etc. to have a conversation about this project :)

I am waiting for your advice and comments.

Have a great day, guys!

Do you know how I can make it?
Time for a reality check.

Based on everything you have provided, the short answer is; you cannot make it.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Modern high-tech gadgets are very complex and made from very small components that require specialized processes and equipment to assemble.

Unless you have $200,000 to spend on development, you are stuck.

You can make stuff by cobbling together existing devices, sticking with standard interfaces and protocols, but it's always going to be large, awkward and delicate.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Please prove why it is impossible to make it?
He didn't say that it was impossible to make. He said that, based on everything you've provided, he's concluded that it's impossible for YOU to make it.

You appear to want to make a high-tech, highly miniaturized device with lots of electronic capabilities. But you say that you don't have any electronics background at all. And then you talk about using an Arduino, which would have you operating at the opposite end of the miniaturized electronics spectrum.

If you just want to be the "idea man", that's fine. But don't expect people on an internet forum to design it for you. To do what you are describing is going to require a significant financial investment to get a working prototype. A couple hundred thousand dollars (or euros) is probably the right ballpark to have someone design it -- and if it involves fabbing custom chips that could easily double the cost.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Please prove why it is impossible to make it?
You say that you've been working on this project and you present a couple of pencil sketches and some cardboard boxes stuck together.

What electronic devices have you designed and built before? If the answer is none, then what makes you believe that you have the knowledge and practical skills to embark on an advanced project like the one you describe?

I don't want to deter you from building anything, everyone has to start somewhere, but you must be realistic.

Last edited: