very BEGINNER Electronics Set-up

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bdeedles, Oct 11, 2010.

1. bdeedles

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    I'm brand new to learning electronics and am setting up my own lab at home. I have a DC power source, breadboard, multimeter, and picoscope (pc oscilloscope w/AWG) and various components. I am confused with how to use the AWG; can I power my breadboard with this and the power source together?
    What does this do exactly?

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    AWG - is that Arbitrary Waveform Generator?

If so you would not use this to "power" circuits - rather you would most likely use it as a test source to (say) apply a signal as input to a circuit, such as an audio amplifier. You may for instance want to measure the amplifier gain between the amplifier input and output.

You normally "power" circuits from a low voltage DC supply.

bdeedles likes this.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You typically power your breadboard/circuits,etc... with your "DC power source"
    Walk before you even try to run.
    The AWG will just sit collecting dust for months.. There are TONS of projects to do before you need that.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A lot of the projects are how to generate waveforms, unless you plan on sticking with something like digital processing.

5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    You have more equipment than a typical beginner has (though that's not a bad thing). I recommend you start learning DC circuits. Start with the AAC tutorial volume 1 and do the experiments in volume 6.

If you're interested in learning more about AWGs, here's a tutorial that might help (click on the link to the article on function generators and AWGs). There's also an application note on power supplies which might be useful.

bdeedles likes this.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    As someonesdad said, you will find a lot of experiments in the AAC book. Actually they abound on the net, but some tutorials are better than others.

His advice is very good, you have to learn the basics before you can advance.

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Master then advance.
    Master then advance.
    Master then advance.
    Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Not filling your plate is one of the best ways to digest.

Start one component at a time. Once you know it inside and out, move on to another..If you still have questions about the basic operation of a component, get the answers and understand the answers BEFORE moving on.

Many larger components consist of many of the smaller components.

If you think diving in will speed you along...Even if it worked for you in balloon-animal-tying, doesn't mean it will work in electronics.

Learn the components..the basic building blocks. That information is the best tool you can have.

This forum is another great tool. BUT the more research you do on your own, the more info you will retain.

"Why?" You may ask... WELL:

If you asked about a 555 timer, and asked WHY when dealing with a part, we may tell you it is because of the comparator or the doo-hickey inside reacting with the cap or resistor outside..

Now if you dont know how a comparator works, or what an opamp is, your just gonna have MORE data thrust on your plate at the rate which WE understand it.

Thats NO GOOD for you.

Learn and KNOW the basics...They will still be used in the most advanced rocket science thing-a-ma-jigs out there. And it will give you an understanding of the terms and theories behind the components.

Start with chapter 1. Read it a few times.

Watch the videos. Some you will get, some you wont. Watch the ones relevant to your current studies.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html