Very basic question about doorbells

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kees Uiterspees, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Kees Uiterspees

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

I hope someone will be interested and kind enough to answer my very simple question.

I have tried two wireless doorbells, with an extension to ring in the shed at the bottom of the garden where I work. They have proved irritatingly unreliable.

So I have now bought a wired doorbell powered by two 1.5 volt batteries, and I want to make an extension to the shed. I have a piezo-electric buzzer. When I connect the buzzer to the doorbell circuit it buzzes when I press the doorbell button, but very quietly. There is 30 metres of bell wire leading to the little buzzer.

What can I do to improve this circuit?
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, you have not told us the specifications of the buzzer. What is its' voltage and current rating?

It may be that the length of bell wire has a significant amount of resistance, and a transistor is needed to switch higher current to the buzzer.

Do you have the batteries in the shed with the buzzer?
  3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    If you've already run wires, you could install a standard doorbell using a 16VAC "Doorbell Transformer".

Is there a requirement to stay battery operated?
  4. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    3V is pretty low for any piezo and they will act strange at the end of a long wre run because, by nature, they turn the DC into a higher frequency AC load on the source. Try adding a 100 uF or better electrolytic along with a 0.1 uF disk at the shed end.