Version control: important software indeed

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by someonesdad, Jun 29, 2010.

1. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I recently took the opportunity to look around the landscape for an open source revision control tool to replace the outmoded RCS tool I've been using. I stuck some notes/thoughts on the topic into a document.

If you want to keep track of the different versions of your files (text files or binary files), you'll want to start using a revision control tool.

• VCS.pdf
      File size:
      176.1 KB
      Views:
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm going to move this thread over to the Resources section.

Keeping versions straight in PCB work can be fun as well. That consumes a couple of loose-leaf notebooks and some computer files in my case.

You may still wish to purchase/construct a memex - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memex

3. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I remember coming across Bush's paper years ago (I've got a copy of it somewhere on my computer) and I was awed by the scope of his vision. While the implementation technology is a bit laughable by today's standards, it was a brilliant piece of work.

beenthere, you've been so helpful that I'd like to return the favor. If you like, I can help you organize your stuff with a VCS system so that it's easy to get to whatever version you like. PM me if interested -- and, if we come up with anything useful, we can post it here as an adjunct.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Thanks for that offer. I have few enough such designs that the notebook is actually pretty good. I honed those skills in over 20 years of working with a DOS based CAD program (and those lovely 9 character file names).

If something that could act to better organize that stuff comes to mind, I'll take you up on the offer, though. I would be in the position of going over hundreds of files with similar files names - just in different folders.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    9 character filenames? lucky! I was stuck with the old 8.3 for years.

As for implementing VC, this is something I would have enjoyed 15 years ago.

When dealing with BBS's to communicate with collaborators, and the big gaps of time between updates, things got a little out of hand.