Verizon Network Extender - First Post

Matthew Presnell

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Hello all. As the title suggests this is my first post here on the AAC forum. Here's my dilemma/project. I live in right in the middle of valley where 10 year old technology is new to us. we just acquired high speed internet a few years ago, but the lack of cell phone service is terrible. i was hoping that someone might give me some guidance on whether it would be suitable for me to try to build a small signal repeater for the verizon network or if it would be way above my pay grade. I am a college student that has taken electronic principles and electronics one (although I barely passed E1, terrible teacher). If anyone has any ideas or anything at all that might help me out, or just letting me know if Im messing with stuff that im gonna have no clue about that would be great guys.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It depends on many things. Where are the nearest cell towers in relation to your location? Whose are they? What is the topography between the cells and your location?

Usually, it's best to work with the service provider to solve the problem. Their interest in helping will naturally be commensurate with the number and type of clients a solution would affect. Have you tried that? With your limited electronics knowledge, the best that you could reasonably hope for on your own would be an off-the-shelf passive repeater/amplifier but even that would only be a viable option in certain limited circumstances such as good signal at valley rim and short distance from rim to your location.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I called Verizon. I live in a dense area but had abysmal cell phone service. Got a Verizon Net Extender for free. Check out their prices. You may be able to buy cheaper than build.

Matthew Presnell

Joined Jun 3, 2015
I know a cell tower must be pretty close by. I can actually place the phone in the windows on the south wall of my house and get enough service to call out. My brother lives next to me albeit at a slightly higher elevation (he can see over the hill that's in front of our house) and he can get 2-3 bars. Another problem is I am actually not a verizon customer, my prepaid plan just uses the network so they probably wouldn't feel the need to give me one since I'm only prepaid and I've read other forums where actual verizon customers asked for one and it was an uphill battle some of which ended in failure anyway. I am currently off for summer and don't have much else to do so I thought building an amplifier might be a good use of my time if i got some cellular service out of it