Verizon FiOS: How to test signal strength

Stanly

Joined Mar 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have Verizon FiOS. Here is my question, please:

Is there a way to test the signal strength coming into the cable box by some information that you can obtain from the cable box?

Thank you for your assistance.

Stanly

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
There are various versions of outside wall boxes but mine has status LEDs that indicate the various conductivities are at least present.

If you are having drop-out problems, consider asking them for a new router. That fixed some intermittents for me. Also, make sure that your cables from the wall are good. I had a marginal one that caused drop outs to one TV.

Check the manual for your particular TV box to see if it has a signal strength utility. Mine did not but I found the bad cable after talking to their tech support (which is pretty good).

Good luck.

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
Call Verizon technical support and state your issues to them. They of course will run some tests over the phone and more than likely send out a tech to troubleshoot your issues. There could be a number of things wrong from the NODE to the end user (your computer, tv box, etc) causing the packet loss. I would assume there is a setting on the cable box that lets you see the signal strength. I know on my ATT U-Verse wireless tv receivers they have a signal strength indicator right on the front of the box. If you have any computers connected I would first begin disconnecting everything except for one FIOS Receiver box then start your troubleshooting from there so that you can eliminate any other peripherals that might be causing the problem.