Verilog or VHDL for beginner in fpga?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wii552, Dec 21, 2010.

1. wii552

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey guys,
    I am a total noob to FPGA design and would like to learn an HDL. I think that the two choices that I have are Verilog and VHDL, but if anybody thinks that something else would be a good idea to learn, please tell me so. I have a background in C and Java programming, and I have heard that Verilog has some syntax similar to this. Is this true? If so, would that help me in learning Verilog? I am not looking to really complicated stuff yet, but would like to be able to use that Altera FPGA on that cheapy chineese dev. board that is sitting in the corner for things beond just logic gates in schematic, where I am now. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
    wii552

2. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    VHDL is the best way to start. As you have altera fpga use their ide for ease of operation. Synopsys synplify is used by many. But before using this you need to brush up on digital electronics for a weeks time so that you could design with ease. Mentor graphics conduct online seminars, you could read their material. But stick to one IDE and hardware till you get hands on experience on this subject. As you are exposed to c, logi won't be an issue for you, little bit of understanding of analog electronics and a depth of digital electronics is required for you to master FPGA!

3. wii552

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks! I have been working with digital electronics for a while as something to do, so I think that I understand everything. Is that what you mean?