verifying equality in both equations that gives the voltage across a capacitor in an AC RC series

kiroma

Joined Apr 30, 2014
Do you have any calculus behind you?
Yes, I do. But I didn't learnt much about Fourier and nothing about Laplace.
If you're not willing to show me how I could do that, I can ask to my professor at university and see what he says.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, I do. But I didn't learnt much about Fourier and nothing about Laplace.
If you're not willing to show me how I could do that, I can ask to my professor at university and see what he says.
We can work through it, but it will be a slow process. The material you are looking for is usually part of a Circuits II course.

For the simple circuit you are talking about, we may be able to solve the differential equation without going beyond the calculus that you have.

Fourier and Laplace transforms are usually covered in a Differentials Equations course, which usually comes after Calc III (but the material in a Calc III course isn't too relevant for our purposes). How many semesters of calculus do you have?

kiroma

Joined Apr 30, 2014
I've done all the calculus subjects, including differential equations. I don't know why I didn't see anything related to Laplace.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've done all the calculus subjects, including differential equations. I don't know why I didn't see anything related to Laplace.
Hmm... I've never seen a Diffy-Q course that didn't include Laplace, usually as one of the last subjects in the course. But just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it's not the case.

Be that as it may, you should have enough grounding to develop the differential equation that governs the system. So give that a shot to get us started.

kiroma

Joined Apr 30, 2014
I've found too complex the second link you gave me. So I went back to the previous page, the homogeneous solution, to refresh my mind about the DEs. Thanks a lot.
But I think I've found an error in this page...
Specifically in the following sentence:
The time constant
can be identified on the time plot of the general first order response
with
=> this is not true.
What does it mean?o_O:rolleyes:

Edit:
Another error at page http://fourier.eng.hmc.edu/e84/lectures/ch3/node8.html
In the sentence "particular solution (forced response)
due to the DC input
;"
vc'(t)≠vc(t)|t→∞=Vs
Even if it was that
vc'(t)|t→∞, it's different from vc(t)|t→∞, as the derivative goes to zero and the function goes to Vs.
Just tell me whether I'm right or not and I'll ignore these equalities.

Last edited:

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
I've found too complex the second link you gave me. So I went back to the previous page, the homogeneous solution, to refresh my mind about the DEs. Thanks a lot.
But I think I've found an error in this page...
Specifically in the following sentence:
The time constant
can be identified on the time plot of the general first order response
with
=> this is not true.
What does it mean?o_O:rolleyes:
What is the page number?