velocity-time graph question

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
a car travels at a constant velocity of 20m/s for 200 sec and then accelerates uniformly to a velocity of 30m/s over a period of 20 sec. this velocity is maintained for 200sec before the car is brought to rest with a uniform deceleration in 30 sec.

total distance travelled is 10950m as i found out in the first part of the question

now i have to find the average speed over the whole journey.

pls help me cos im really stuck

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Would it be the total distance divided by the total time? Do ya think...maybe...perhaps? Could it be that straightforward? Were they trying to confuse you with all that detail? Sneaky problem writers!

mrmount

Joined Dec 5, 2007
Assuming that you have calculated the distance properly, I would just divide it by the total time. I don't see any catch here... Shouldn't it be straight forward ?

triggernum5

Joined May 4, 2008
To figure it out graphically from the V-T graph, you could consider the area in the triangle of the accelerated velocity.. That area is 10 units (does correlate to meters, but is confusing since its offset from 0m/s), divide that by total # of seconds, and add that to the the intilial 20m/s

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
thanks dudes, i forgot to close the tread couple of weeks ago =S, i did it using papabravo's method... total distance/time and i got full marks thanks

triggernum5

Joined May 4, 2008
Wow, thats wierd.. If I had you at a level where v-t graphs were understandable, if graph work was the exercise I wouldn't accept the grade 4 solution, but cool anyway..