Veleman MK178 mods

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by hcl, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hcl

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2014
    Hello :>
    This is my first post.
    I from Poland and my en is not perfect.

I have MK178 break light flasher from valenam but i want to mod this because 7 blink per second is to much.
    Can this be modyfied to 3-4 times per second.

Thanx for help
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The Velleman MK178 uses a PIC10F200 microcontroller. The flash rate is set internally by the program. The only way to change the flash rate is to reprogram the mcu with your own program.
  3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    put the output into a CD4017 decade divider, and use the Q1 output,this will divide by 2, or use the Q2 output to divide by 3.
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi Dodgydave, unfortunately a divide by two situation would have the risk of leaving the brake light on after the PIC makes a set of pulses.
  5. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Actually the risk of leaving the brake light off after the pulses is the concern. The device is powered by the brake-light signal so you want the light to stay on, not off after the pulses are finished.
    THE_RB likes this.
  6. hcl

May 30, 2014
    Mk178 have in program 5 or 10 puls. I dont want to div puls. I want to multiple time of puls so 7/s is about 0, 07s on na 0.07s off per puls. I want about 3/s that is 0.16s on and off per puls.
  7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Dividing the number of pulses per second by 2 doubles the length of each pulse, which I think is what you want. You can do that with hardware, but the best way would be to reprogram the PIC; that way, there is no hardware change required. Do you know anyone in your city who programs PIC micro-controllers?
  8. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    The photos show a PIC 10F200 in a socket?

Why not just write a few lines of code to make it flash how you like?
  9. hcl

May 30, 2014
    I not familiar with programing the pic and i dont have the equipment.
    I try to use the cd4017. Could you past a photo where i mast give groun, +. Input and output in this cd 4017 hardware. Just how insert this chip into my circuit :) i be very glad.

Thx hcl
  10. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Thread Status: