Vehicle loop detector

skusku

Joined Aug 9, 2009
Hi there

I would like some help making an inductive loop detector, to detect vehicles.

Something like this:
http://www.centsys.co.za/inductive-loop-detectors/flux-sa

The problem I have, if I use the coil of wire, and put a big metal object over it, I either need it to change frequency or voltage. This would then go into a PIC with A/D conversion. What type of circuit would accomplish the change in voltage so I can compare it.

Thanks

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
If I remember correctly, the LM331 is a voltage to frequency converter, that can be run in reverse, so it could be as simple as an ADC read.

You could do this with a timer, no ADC necessary and the result is, by nature, digital...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You PIC guys are so annoying, using 7 parts to do what would require dozens in an analog design!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As to LDC3 post: will I be able to get different voltages at the pin where the led is?
Actually, there should be a couple of changes in that schematic; swap the connections at 6(2) with 5(3), remove the ground from the cathode of the LED, and move the LED to between the 1K2 (1.2k) resistor and pin 7(1). Then at pin 7 (1) you'll see < 0.7v when the LED is on, and ~Vcc - Vf(LED) when the LED is off.

Otherwise the picodetector looks quite nice too. Will have a look at both tomorrow...
If you have the means to program a PIC, this would be the way to go.