Vehicile Camera Wiring - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XoVoX

Joined Sep 21, 2012
First off, this is a pretty cool forum! I'm not an electrical genius by any means so any assistance you can offer would be much appreciated! If I've posted this in the wrong section, please move it :) Thanks!

So my situation is I'd like to make a modification to my truck to have a forward facing camera. Currently the truck has a reverse camera that only displays when in reverse, the problem with this function is I can only see the ball hitch when in reverse and if I need to pull forward to re-align I lose track of the orientation.

Ultimately I'd like to wire a switch into my dash where I could have three positions. When I press "up" I'd like the forward camera to display in my mirror, when I press "down" I'd like the rear camera to display and in the center position I'd like it to default to normal operation. Then in the "center" position it would operate normally. Default operation has a bypass wire so that it only comes on in reverse, I dont know if the wire only supplies power to the display when in reverse or if it supplies power to both camera and monitor when in reverse.

If I cant keep this functionality being able to manually turn on and off would be fine. They are 12v cameras so I'm assuming I can wire it into any existing 12v supply that comes on with the key on, I wouldnt want to be able to "forget" they were on and kill my battery.

What type of switch would I need and can anyone shed light on how I'd have to wire it? Also if more information is needed I will do what I can to supply it, thanks again!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Please have a read through of our Terms of Service: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html
...particularly paragraph 6, which reads:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
As you can see, automotive modifications fall under the Restricted Topics rule, and as such, we can't discuss your project here. The Terms of Service was written by the site owners, and is not open to negotiation.

If you wish, you could pursue it elsewhere, like on Electro-Tech Online or another forum. However, keep in mind that your forward-facing camera idea probably won't be legal for vehicles operated on the street in the USA.

If you have other electronic questions/projects that are not on the Restricted Topics list, please feel free to start a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.