Vaseline

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Oil can,Charie,this is a good change to discover the knowledge
of oils that people use and why.One oil don,t do ever thing that
why they have that un oily name.You are slipping and sliding again.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
A previous employer who makes a medical sensor in black plastic housings (type of plastic unknown) will give them a thin coat of Vaseline as the last assembly step after final test.

It made the plastic look all nice and shiny, at least for a little while...

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
One of my daughters emailed me back after I sent her the tips with the following tips for women:

It's also a great moisturizer for your lips though. As well as a beautiful natural-look lip gloss. Well, it's actually a great all over moisturizer! And. If you smear it on your teeth it helps remind you to smile when you're performing in the spot light. Annnnd it's a good make up remover for tough, stuck on mascara :)

Also great for getting off stuck rings. GREAT for giving massages. You can also apply it to your lashes to condition them. Also good for shining up leather. And when applied to a freshly carved jack o lantern, the pumpkin won't rot as quickly. Annnnnd when you're giving a baby or a toddler a bath if you apply a line of Vaseline above their eyebrows, the water and shampoo runs to the side instead of getting in the baby's eyes.

AWESOME RIGHT? ladies come and spend $120 for a moisturizer from me when they can get a 4 year supply at the dollar store. Ha.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Refrigerator door gaskets need Vaseline on their hinge sides so they don't fold under (and eventually tear) when you close the door.

Vaseline is compatable with automatic transmissions and is used as an assembly lube. Its stickyness often makes parts stay in place long enough to get them assembled. After the transmission warms up, the Vaseline is dissolved in the transmission fluid and does no harm.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I will leave that for some one else that knows the difference.
You would not take my answer serious until you use the wrong type
oil and get a big surprise,If no one else knows ,more surprises.
Maybe I was misunderstood when I said;

I've gone through plenty of Vaseline when working with hydraulics. Excellent for O rings.
It's not that I've used a jug of vaseline in a single go, but rather that I've worked with a lot of hydraulics. If I had to guess, I'd say a hundred jars of vaseline against several million gals of hydraulic fluid. Just a guess mind you, over 30 years of Millwrighting.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It makes a great firestarter. Just saturate a cotton ball with it and light. It makes a good fat flame for about 5 minutes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@GetDeviceInfo,before you sign off.I am making a post. I designed a hydraulic car trailer.
I paid for the welding,so i have some experience working around hydraulic,But the
oil experience happened when I was oiling something that went wrong,you have heard
of all in one oil,some simple name like that,the point I was holding out on was when
I oiled a hilti gun with regular oil,the next time it fired it froze up,so that where using
the right oil for the job comes in.Its been a fun subject. Please reply.

Last edited:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Its stickyness often makes parts stay in place long enough to get them assembled.
I've used it for this and it works, but I like axle grease better because things tend to stick better.

Another tip: put a small amount on your finger and go around your house wiping a thin layer on the door strikers and on the striker plate where the striker rubs against it. Don't tell your SO and they'll wonder why the doors are closing more easily.

Of course, a classic use is to coat car battery terminals after cleaning them to reduce corrosion.

I'm painting our Garden Way cart tomorrow and I'll rub Vaseline on the places I don't want the paint to stick.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
@GetDeviceInfo,before you sign off.I am making a post. I designed a hydraulic car trailer.
I paid for the welding,so i have some experience working around hydraulic,But the
oil experience happened when I was oiling something that went wrong,you have heard
of all in one oil,some simple name like that,the point I was holding out on was when
I oiled a hilti gun with regular oil,the next time it fired it froze up,so that where using
the right oil for the job comes in.Its been a fun subject. Please reply.
I seem to recall the all-in-one, came in a green and white rectangular can.

Your comments were unclear that you were talking about something other than vaseline used on O rings. Unnecessarily cryptic.

yes, using the wrong oils can lead to unwanted conditions.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You left out the O knight the tough stuff that I am made of.
I think super man used It ,so can Loosewire. @ Shortbus ,I like your ( short
burst) of speed with your post,get the pun.
@ Devise,we were talking about oil right a long,then you jump In to
Vasoline.You guys like to twist me like prexel,that ok I told
you It was coming I should have held back for real oil talk.
In the South we use (All) (awl)up north you use oil,I get them mixed up.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@someonesdad
New discovery...silicon spark plug grease. Thicker than Vaseline which melts and disappears in the Florida heat. Try that on your striker plates. It lasts longer.

Too thick for refrigerator gaskets. Too stable for transmission assembly. Too expensive for most jobs.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
@someonesdad
New discovery...silicon spark plug grease. Thicker than Vaseline which melts and disappears in the Florida heat. Try that on your striker plates. It lasts longer.
Interesting -- I assume you mean the usual silicone grease like that used in Dow Corning vacuum grease or lab grease for stopcocks? That sounds like a good idea -- thanks for the tip! I use plumber's waterproof silicone grease for all the o-rings around the house and occasionally as a thread lubricant on stainless steel (having worked in the ultra-high vacuum industry, I've seen how horribly stainless can gall to stainless and even aluminum).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yep. I usta know where to get "food grade" silicon, but haven't been able to find it...even on the internet! The closest thing I found was spark plug grease. Very much like the Dow vacuum grease.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The typical waterproof plumber's silicone grease is food grade because it is in contact with fresh water and has to have no harmful components.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I sorta figured that as soon as you said it exists. I'll include that on the list of the usual suspects.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
But it's not as convenient as e.g. a tube of vacuum grease, as it's a stickier consistency and lower viscosity. I've had the same little 1 ounce container of it for years though, so a little goes a long way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Externet Off-Topic 3