Variable voltage DC power supply

Akya2120

Joined May 21, 2011
I am trying to make an electronic cigarette(also known as a portable vaporizer), power supply. My goal for this project is to go from a single 18650 3.6V Lithium battery to a regulated output range of ~3.6V up to ~6.3V with 2.5 amps max draw and ~20 watts max. The 18650 batteries I am looking at using are ~2600mAh and have a 4-5 amp max constant draw. The only integrated chip I have found that gets close to what I am looking for is the PTN04050C, then I would use a potentiometer to get the desired output. My only problem with the 04050 is that it's max watts out is 12.

This power supply drives a small section of resistance wire which has a piece of wick through it to cary the liquid that it vaporizes to replicate smoking a cigarette. The atomizers come in various resistances, from 1.5 Ohm to 4.5 Ohm. Something that I would really like to include in this design is a way to check the Ohms of the atomizer. However this is not necessary and I don't even know how this would be done.

I am new to the DC circuit design field but I am very interested. All help is much appreciated. In this design I am hoping to see above 80% efficiency as this unit will be battery operated and carried around. Also the smaller I can make it the better. Can anyone help me find the DC-DC booster I am looking for?

Akya2120

Joined May 21, 2011
What would be the difference in size between me making one and me buying one someone else made. I know it would be cheaper. The one I want that works pretty similarly to the one I am trying to make is 180$.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
What would be the difference in size between me making one and me buying one someone else made. I know it would be cheaper. The one I want that works pretty similarly to the one I am trying to make is 180$.
$180! Post a link to it please. I am curious on just how much this manufacture is making per unit. Perhaps $175/unit!!!!

Akya2120

Joined May 21, 2011
I don't know how long it takes to get a message approved here but I posted yesterday. It's the provari by provape. It's 160 for the base model and 180 for the anodized black one. Also for the end cap that holds an 18650 it is an extra 20$.

<SNIP>
That is the provari. I'm wondering what microprocessor they use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akya2120

Joined May 21, 2011
Ok so I can't post a link to it. I don't know much about microprocessors but I am willing to do some research. Anyone have an idea of what I am looking for?

Last edited:

Akya2120

Joined May 21, 2011
Ok so I'm just going to buy the provari. I will do a bit of inspecting and find out what microprocessor they use so I can make a similar device for friends. Can someone tell me what I am up against in programming a MP for this type of application? The website says the device uses accuset technology. I looked around for accuset and found a dc motor driver by dart controls. I doubt it is of any relevance but I was not sure. Anyone have an idea of what this MP might be before I just drop like 200$?