Variable Speed Forwad/Reverse DC Lathe Motor?

Sardis

Joined May 4, 2015
Sorry for the slow response. I was at boxing. I don't need the speeds in between the gear speeds, but on my particular machine there are 3 pulleys and 6 different sizes of belts in addition to the tensioning. All of the factors have to be changed in order to achieve the correct speed and I am tired of it.

That looks like what I need. I think that takes care of my task! Thanks for all the time you all spent!

P.S. - Seeing as this is a newer thread if you are reading through and you have an opinion to add please feel free to tell me! Thanks!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sorry for the slow response. I was at boxing. I don't need the speeds in between the gear speeds, but on my particular machine there are 3 pulleys and 6 different sizes of belts in addition to the tensioning. All of the factors have to be changed in order to achieve the correct speed and I am tired of it.

That looks like what I need. I think that takes care of my task! Thanks for all the time you all spent!

P.S. - Seeing as this is a newer thread if you are reading through and you have an opinion to add please feel free to tell me! Thanks!
No problem, hey a few words of caution though:
1. When you open the box, don't start dicking around with the pots on the board just for fun. There are some finnicky adjustments (namely IR compensation) that, if not adjusted properly, yield strange results. In my experience, I've never had to adjust IR comp out of the box. The only time is after some well-meaning neanderthal "troubleshooter" goes into a cabinet with a screwdriver. Accel,min,max, and CL are safe to fiddle with, but LEAVE IR COMP ALONE unless you know what you're doing.
2. These KB drives have a "plug-in Horsepower resistor" I don't remember if one comes in the box or not; probably does, and probably comes with the highest HP resistor the drive is designed for. Might want to check with the seller and see if you need to get the resistor. Shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks.
3. The wires to the speed pot ARE NOT ISOLATED. They are floating 90+V above ground potential. So just because it's a measley "0-10V" signal, don't go putting your fingers on the terminals. You can relocate the pot to the front of the lathe if you want, but make sure there's no wires hanging out to bite anyone.
4. This drive doesn't have reverse. You can reverse by means of your switch though; just make sure it's stopped before you do.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I should note that the one mentioned on ebay is the 240v version, so you would need a 240v outlet for it. I believe the 125 is the 120vac version.
The resistor can be obtained from a Baldor motor rep if you have one in your area, many large cities do.
Max.