Variable Gain, High Bandwidth Amplifier

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Enforcer83, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Enforcer83

Thread Starter Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I am attempting to design an amplifier system with a variable gain between 1 and 100 and a -3dB bandwidth of 100MHz (min). I intend on using multiplexers for the switching mechanism. Based on my research, I have decided to use a setup similar to an Instrumentation Amplifier setup. I also want to limit the number of amplification stages to 3.

I understand how to design the system as shown at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op-Amp_Instrumentation_Amplifier.svg, however, I am having trouble finding the right amplifier(s) to accomplish my goals.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    100 mhz bandwidth at what center frequency?
    look into MMIC amplifiers with a 50 ohm variable attenuator between two.

3. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    And what initial input voltage?

4. Enforcer83

Thread Starter Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Sorry, the signal input is DC to 100 MHz into an ADC sampling at 250 MSPS. I want to be able to represent signals from 10mV to 3V peak.

5. Enforcer83

Thread Starter Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I was looking at my design/reviewing datasheets when I realized I was going about the design from the wrong direction and decided to take a different route.

Thanks alfacliff for the suggestion on MMICs. I looked at them and realized they could be vary useful and will consider using them in a different design.

If I still need help with the original question, I will let everyone know.