Variable DC Bench Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jsthomps, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jsthomps

Thread Starter Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a supply in the 0-30 volt, 0-5 amp range?
  2. Jotto

Apr 1, 2011
    Speco PSV-5 30vdc 5amp

I have the 14602 PS 50vdc 3amp and 1850D 18vdc 5 amp that I use.
  3. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I suggest you try to specify your needs a bit better. First order of business is to state what your price limit is, as that weeds out a lot of stuff.

A few years ago I got a B&K Precision 9130 power supply and it's a good power supply for an experimenter's bench. It has two 90 W, 30 V supplies that can be put in parallel to give you 31 V @ 6.2 A (and a third 6 V @ 3 A supply). The first supply, which I use for most things, has the curious nice feature of nearly always being within 1 or 2 mV of what I type in -- and the settings resolve to the nearest mV and mA.

To provide for your specs, I go into the menus and specify that channels 1 and 2 are to be connected in parallel. Then the channel 1 settings control both supplies (so there's no mucking about trying to set two supplies to the same settings). In fact, you can put all three channels in parallel for 9.3 A out at 6 volts max (the 6 volts is because that's the voltage limit of the third supply).

This is a pretty good lab supply and is a bit of a sleeper, as many folks don't know about it. A friend at B&K told me it's one of their most popular supplies.