Variable Capacitor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by crivoli, May 23, 2006.

1. crivoli

Thread Starter Member

May 4, 2006
    Can someone please explain the leads of this variable capacitor and how to hook it up?
    I have never used one and I want to make sure I get this correct.

Thanks
    -crivoli

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    This one is two variable capacitors in one package, connected in series with the G as the common point. you have to decide how big the maximal capacity should be. It can be 60,120 or 220pF.

3. crivoli

Thread Starter Member

May 4, 2006

Ok, thanks for the reply.

So to create a variable capacitor from 0 to 160pf where would I run the wires?

A wire from G to ground and a wire from O to the circuit?

I'm sorry but I am still confused.

Thanks

4. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    G and A, but it wont get down to zero pF. Minimum is probably more like 10 to 15 pF.

5. radiosmoke

May 30, 2006
    -------------
    Very simple:
    this is a two section gang variable capacitor.
    That means that as the capacitor shaft is turned the capacitance increases or decreases depending on rotation.

The leads are marked A for antenna and is 120 micro-farads
    G for ground
    O for Oscillator. and its 60 micro-farads

You need a ferrite loop antenna hooked up from A to G
    You also have to know what the inductance value is to calculate the frequency.

If you need a smaller capacitance (and don't use or need the oscillator) (to receive shortwave bands) then hook between the O and G you will receive higher frequency

If you need a larger capacitance, (to receive the AM broadcast band) use the A and G

If you want to receive VLF bands you need to hook the O and A together on one wire of the antenna, and the G to the other wire of the antenna.

Hope this helps

The ferrite loop antenna is an inductor and together they work as a tuned circuit for a radio receiver.

6. radiosmoke

May 30, 2006
    -------------
    Very simple:
    this is a two section gang variable capacitor.
    That means that as the capacitor shaft is turned the capacitance increases or decreases depending on rotation.

The leads are marked A for antenna and is 120 micro-farads
    G for ground
    O for Oscillator. and its 60 micro-farads

You need a ferrite loop antenna hooked up from A to G
    You also have to know what the inductance value is to calculate the frequency.

If you need a smaller capacitance (and don't use or need the oscillator) (to receive shortwave bands) then hook between the O and G you will receive higher frequency

If you need a larger capacitance, (to receive the AM broadcast band) use the A and G

If you want to receive VLF bands you need to hook the O and A together on one wire of the antenna, and the G to the other wire of the antenna.

Hope this helps

The ferrite loop antenna is an inductor and together they work as a tuned circuit for a radio receiver.
    A
    [​IMG]
    G