Valve Symbol

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
WBAHN: I learned that the diode symbol comes from a graphic depiction of a plate (the cathode) and a spray of electrons (the V) coming off of it from the center and spreading out before hitting the anode.
I think it is more than a coincidence it is identical to the Hydraulic/pneumatic check valve symbol! ;)
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think it is more than a coincidence it is identical to the Hydraulic/pneumatic check valve symbol! ;)
Max.
But it's not. At least it isn't the symbol I've almost always seen, including when I worked hydraulics and pneumatics on fighter aircraft. The most common check valve symbol I've encountered (which is also the ISO standard symbol) is a V with a circle cradled in it which graphically depicts how simple check valves work.

http://www.engineersedge.com/hydraulic/symbols/hydraulic_iso_check_pilot_valves_.htm

I'm not saying that the diode symbol isn't used as a check valve symbol, just that I've never seen it used as such.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there are many symbols for the "valve" rectifier. depending on whether its a filament type, heated cathode type, cold cathode type and such.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
The symbols for electrical and electronic devices are simply a matter of convention rather than of a physical origin.

For example, a BPJ transistor can be visualized as two diode symbols pointing either toward or away from the base connection. However a transistor is represented by just one arrow pointing to or from the base and the vertical line has been eliminated.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The symbols for electrical and electronic devices are simply a matter of convention rather than of a physical origin.

For example, a BPJ transistor can be visualized as two diode symbols pointing either toward or away from the base connection. However a transistor is represented by just one arrow pointing to or from the base and the vertical line has been eliminated.
Most symbols have some basis in physical devices. A resistor is reminiscent of a heating element. A capacitor suggests plates separated by a gap. An inductor is indicative of a coil of wire. Most of the vacuum tube symbols were suggestive of the vacuum tube elements they represented. The fact that only one element of the BJT symbol carries the arrow reflects the need to distinguish between collector and emitter in most physical BJT devices. In many MOSFET devices, which graphically depict the capacitive nature of the gate to channel implementation, there is no distinction between source and drain and, hence, there are symbols that are symmetric. You can only tell whether it's NMOS or PMOS by the fourth pin, which shows the parasitic bulk-channel diode.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Amazing how quickly people from all over the world can respond to things. It's great... but it has it's downsides, too. :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If I actually correctly corrected you, it was by chance; I was attempting to be facetious. Apparently I was accidentally correct?
Actually, you weren't -- but I figured you were being facetious and knew that saying that it is NOT in the direction of hole flow is the same as saying that it WAS in the direction of electron flow.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Actually, you weren't -- but I figured you were being facetious and knew that saying that it is NOT in the direction of hole flow is the same as saying that it WAS in the direction of electron flow.
you got it, good. thanks for restoring my sanity.