valve amp power supply

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Three simple questions: Answer the damn questions!

Which of the two trannys in the photo is used to make the ~300V?

Which one is the one that gets hot?

Are there any holes or perforations in the cover that was removed to take the pictures?

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Three simple questions: Answer the damn questions!

Which of the two trannys in the photo is used to make the ~300V?

Which one is the one that gets hot?

Are there any holes or perforations in the cover that was removed to take the pictures?
the one on the left is the one that gets hot and the one on the right is the one with 300v..yes the covers have holes .

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Try measuring a 40 watt fluorescent ballast. I phoned the MFG and they said it produces about 400 volts. Subtract the loss in the rectifier tube or find out he meant, "RMS" and the rectified voltage is going to be way too high. Anyway, worth a measure if it doesn't cost you a penny.
I doubt the ballast output is isolated from the input and thus would not be something you would want to use for a supply.

just rectifiers havent drawn the entire bit..i read that heaters could use 12v dc as well........
DC is sometimes used on audio tube heaters to minimize hum, but your circuit is just a half-wave rectifier which will reduce the voltage on the heaters to 1/2 the value (6V). You could use a full-wave bridge and a filter cap to get smooth DC but that would give a DC output of over 15V which would mean a short life for the filaments.

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
I doubt the ballast output is isolated from the input and thus would not be something you would want to use for a supply.

DC is sometimes used on audio tube heaters to minimize hum, but your circuit is just a half-wave rectifier which will reduce the voltage on the heaters to 1/2 the value (6V). You could use a full-wave bridge and a filter cap to get smooth DC but that would give a DC output of over 15V which would mean a short life for the filaments.
if i use another transformer just for the heater volts would that be a better option and use a full wave rectifier and better dc filtering caps would be a better option i guess.....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I checked. You're right. Even in the most primitive, low wattage ballasts, a capacitor carries what could be dangerous current to the secondary.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
if i use another transformer just for the heater volts would that be a better option and use a full wave rectifier and better dc filtering caps would be a better option i guess.....
Yes you could. But you would need an AC voltage of 10V from the transformer to get a DC voltage of about 12V after filtering the output of a full-wave bridge consisting of standard silicon rectifiers.

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Yes you could. But you would need an AC voltage of 10V from the transformer to get a DC voltage of about 12V after filtering the output of a full-wave bridge consisting of standard silicon rectifiers.
cool...will give that a shot. thanks mate.will purchase a 230: 15-0-15 tranny. probably that would also prevent the 1st transformer to heat up.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could buy an isolation transformer with a 240VAC output.
If you need a little more voltage you can add a 12VAC filament transformer of the same current output rating in series with the output of the isolation transformer.

Roque

Joined Sep 16, 2014
You could buy an isolation transformer with a 240VAC output.
If you need a little more voltage you can add a 12VAC filament transformer of the same current output rating in series with the output of the isolation transformer.
thanks mate i have a put a fan and it has done wonders thank you for all your input appreciate it.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
If you have 240v RMS at the output of the reversed transformer,you should get around 337v dc out of a bridge rectifier (allowing for the voltage drop in the two series diodes on each half cycle).

If,however,you have 300v RMS out of the reversed transformer,you probably have different low voltage secondary voltages.
If the first transformer has a 15v winding & it is feeding a 12v winding,you will get the higher output from the reversed transformer.
This is a major "no-no",as you will be overloading both of the low voltage windings,so that one,or both will get hot.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you have 240v RMS at the output of the reversed transformer,you should get around 337v dc out of a bridge rectifier (allowing for the voltage drop in the two series diodes on each half cycle).

If,however,you have 300v RMS out of the reversed transformer,you probably have different low voltage secondary voltages.
If the first transformer has a 15v winding & it is feeding a 12v winding,you will get the higher output from the reversed transformer.
This is a major "no-no",as you will be overloading both of the low voltage windings,so that one,or both will get hot.
Depends entirely on current being drawn from the second tranny's secondary winding.