Valve actuator project

nashrack

Joined Oct 8, 2013
I am installing a valve actuator that will control a pool valve which controls whether water in return pipe goes to pipe A or pipe B. The actuator uses 24v. I need to turn the valve to send water to pipe A at 8am and then turn it at 10am to send the water to pipe B. This process will repeat daily.
The actuator has 3 wires (x, y, z). 24v needs to be applied to x and y to turn it one way and to y and z to turn it the other way.
I am thinking of buying a timer (like GE 15154) and a 24v transformer (like PSPRO-24VAC40). This should take care of timing and voltage parts. I am not sure how to send the output voltage to different wires of the actuator at different times - to xy at 8am and to yz at 10am.
What are the options for building something like this? The pool companies sell systems to do this but they're very expensive. Please guide me on how to build this system.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The simple/fast way to do this is two of the timers. Set one timer to send power to x/y at the times you want. Set the other timer to send power to z/y at the other time.

Some times a simple solution is the best one.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The only down side to using two of those timers is they switch a 120v appliance or other 120v device direct, so if using two, you may need some extra relay switching etc.
Would a sprinkler system timer not do the job? these have different zone switching that could be used for the two solenoids, they also switch 24vdc valves.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've seen lawn watering controls on sale cheap at times. They use a 24V system to control flow to several hoses based on a program you enter. Seems like it might adapt well to your application.

nashrack

Joined Oct 8, 2013
Using the sprinkler timer is a great idea. I didn't know they used 24v. They're much more affordable. I'll try it soon.

To Alec's quesiton, yes the actuator does stop on it's own at the end of its travel.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I just checked my sprinkler system and the valves are 24vac not DC as I originally thought, so if yours are AC that's OK, otherwise a small bridge rect. would do the trick.
Max.