Vacuum tube from ~1960 radio

lagencive

Joined Mar 23, 2014
Hi,

I am fixing a radio that is about 55 years old. There is a burnt out vacuum tube that needs to be replaced, but it doesn't have clear labelling. The photos are attached.

I am not sure whether it is possible to determine what type of tube this is. I have looked at similar tubes on electronic supply stores' sites, but I can't find one that is an exact match. If anyone could let me know how I could figure this out (or if by chance you do know what it is), I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The lettering below "Westinghouse" is maybe the most important.

Could you try to read it and post it here if a better picture cannot be taken??

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What stage is it in? RF,IF or audio what is the heater voltage, 6.3 or 12.6?
I have a radio valve catalogue from the 1960's that list multiple manuf and details on tubes from that era, it may also help to list the other tubes.
Max.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would say there is a good chance that the tube can be identified with the following information:

1) What is the make and model of the radio?
2) How many tubes are in the radio?
3) List the part number of every tube. Avoid pulling the tubes with bare fingers to avoid rubbing off the identification numbers.
4) Provide us with photographs of the radio showing the position of the tubes.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I found a likely set:
12BE6
12BA6
50C5 or 50B5 (less common)
35W4
and a 12AV6 or 12AT6

Oh $%^&. I'm answering debe instead of the OP.:mad:

lagencive

Joined Mar 23, 2014
This is a model 321 (stamped over model 295) Canadian Marconi Company radio.

There are 7 tubes: (two) 6V6 G7; (two) 6AT6; one 5Y3 GT; one 6BA6 and the mystery tube.

There is a mark on the board by the mystery tube that says '6BE'. The previous owner said that this was a mistake, and pictures of 6BE tubes I've found don't look like this tube.

There are photos below. I apologize for the quality, but the components are fixed in place, and I am not able to disassemble the radio this evening to allow for a better shot.

The layout is (in the front, left to right) is the mystery tube, 6BA6, 6V6 G7 and 5Y3 GT. In the back are the two 6AT6, and the other 6V6 GT.

Attachments

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Response to #12 +1

The all American 5 with series filaments.:D

Hope not.:eek: No isolation transformer.

Everything connected across the mains.

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
one way to get the number is to cool the tube in a refrigerator and then foftly blow your breath on the tube, the numbers sometime fog up before rest of the glass.
cliff

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Since there is only 2 tuning gangs, I would lay money on it being 6BE6 as there has to be a Freq converter valve in a Superhet receiver. Check whats connected to the valve socket underneath. Some body may well have put the wrong valve in the socket.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is not an All American 5. The (2) 6V6's say, "10 watts of audio output power".
Besides, it has 7 tubes.