Vacuum Cleaner Motor

wkumtrider

Joined Jun 3, 2009
The motor in my vacuum cleaner is shot and I want to replace it instead of buying a new vacuum. What are some good sources for electric motors? I've looked at quite a few sites on-line, but I was curious what sites the electronic experts use. The vacuum is a Hoover Fusion, which is discontinued.

Thanks for the help!

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
An AC Motor when bought alone costs nearly the same or more as a new vacuum cleaner which is mass produced. If you can rewind the motor at some electrical service centre, its good and cheap. Otherwise it will be an over expense.

Also it is hard to get a motor with a chasis and housing that fits your vacuum cleaner case when you are going to throw in a motor from another manufacturer. The slits and threads for the shaft wont even match and its more than a mess.

I suggest, going for a coil rewind and refabrication which is cheaper, neater and easier. If there is none who does it, you're better off with a new vacuum cleaner which will save you lots of time squeezing in a motor into a case.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Maybe you could find a discarded vacuum of the same model and salvage its motor.

Many people who like to maintain older equipment do this all the time, and it's surprising how much you can find, often even for free or very inexpensively, once you start looking around.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Probably a series motor. Check field winding, then inspect armature, then brushes, most likely the problem. No brushes- all bets off.