V and I in RL and RC circuit

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by imperialcollegestudent, Aug 31, 2006.

1. imperialcollegestudent

Thread Starter Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I am really trying here not to get another thread closed!
    I am trying to analyse the circuit (attached). Am I going about this all wrong? I am trying to find the voltages and currents in the RL circuit (left hand side part) and the same in the RC circuit (i.e Vrl and Vrc)

I would appreciate any pointers.

Vi (the sinusoidal voltage source) is not given, only w (omega) at 10,000 rad/sec.

I know that Vi can be represented by it's magnitude (unknown) and a phase eg Vi = V + j0 , so I tried calculating I1 in the left hand branch (see 2nd attachment) - I got some weird answer.

Can anyone give me direction.

Thanks

2. imperialcollegestudent

Thread Starter Member

Aug 30, 2006
    attached is the circuit where I am trying to find the voltages and currents in the resistors. I am stuck. Can anyone give some advise?

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Have you tried opening these files from the forum? I get an error message: This file could not be found.

4. imperialcollegestudent

Thread Starter Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Have you tried saving to disk???

5. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    OK, I can see them now. In the first one, the only math error I see is that you multiplied 1k*1k and got 10,000,000. You might want to think about that. :)
    In the second one, do you know the diode equation? Do you know how to derive dynamic resistance from it? Do you know what the typical voltage drop of a (presumably Silicon) diode is?

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    If you are looking for help in answering Ron H's questions above you may be interested in looking through the information in this link.

Dave