UV LED Skull Project (pls hlp)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by akirablaid, Dec 14, 2013.

1. akirablaid

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I recently started a project, to create a glowing UV lamp out of a Crystal Head vodka bottle.

[​IMG]

I mean to put a number of UV LEDs in the top, or neck, of the bottle and to use quinine/highlighter or something else to refract and cause it to glow.

Anyways I'm new to wiring and my first attempt fried all the LEDs. I could really use some help determining how to wire it up.

First attempt:
    I used 4 of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107633
    And 1 of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102514
    For my power source I used this, cut and stripped: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Sunny-Power-Adapter-1-5a/dp/B004WAVFXK

I understand that if I'd supplied the power (+/-) in the wrong order nothing would have occured. So for some reason it just supplied too much power and blew the system. On the breadboard they were wired parallel, but I can make them parallel or series. I'm just not sure any longer about the capacitor I used, or the power source, or what would work better.

2. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    I'm guessing you have no prior experience with electronics.
    An LED is always connected with a series resistor called a current limiting resistor
    because the LEDs themselves cannot limit their current (unlike filament light bulbs for example).
    I suggest you google "How to wire Leds" or something similar and study the subject for half an hour at least before trying to wire up those leds again and feel free to ask any questions you have.

3. akirablaid

Dec 14, 2013

Yes you're right I have no experience. But I've done my googling. The voltage and amperage, I thought, were within reasonable limits, and so was my configuration. That's why I'm looking for help. Why, with 4 LEDs rated for 3.3-4V and a capacitor would 12v 1.5amp power source blow them, especially with the capacitor I used? I honestly thought I'd done my research and if there's a mistake here my guess is the power source but I still don't understand why, let alone how to do it otherwise.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Try this way:

5. akirablaid

Dec 14, 2013
    Isn't that the same, with no capacitor? I feel that's more likely to fry the LEDs..

6. akirablaid

Dec 14, 2013
    Or is that a different resistor? Or power source?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Same as what except the capacitor? I don't see your schematic.
    Different resistor from what?

Same power source you named, 12 volts.

8. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    Akira , why don't you draw a full schematic of how you wired up your leds and we will tell you what the problem/fix is

9. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    you can wire them up in this way also-you need to work out the value of your series resistor to suit the leds you are using too.....you also need to make sure the leds are connected correctly polarity wise-usually the flat on the package is the cathode side of the led-which is your negative or ground connection-the anode being the positive supply connection.......

10. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    What is the point with the capacitor ???