Using the correct symbols in DipTrace

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CVMichael, Jun 11, 2010.

1. CVMichael

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 3, 2007
    I am trying to create a schematic in DipTrace for a device I made.

I don't know how to separate the 2 power sources. For example, I am using 2 LM7805 regulators to power the AD9059 chip, and right now it looks like its taking power from the same source. How do I tell that the VDD goes to one regulator, and VD goes to the other power regulator.

I could not find a symbol for the common input of both LM7805 to be anything from ~7-10V (instead of the rectifier and transformer)

I could not find in DipTrace unpolarized capacitor symbol ? (for the 0.1 uF capacitors)

Also, I don't know what symbol to use for the ICSP input, and also for the Analog A&B inputs. Are the symbols that I am using right now OK ?

I also attached the ".dch" file if you want to open it in DipTrace.

DipTrace does not have LTC6904 component, I used the component AD7314ARM insteand, and modified the pin numbers and renamed it to LTC6904, but it does not have the option to change the pin names. Is there a way to create my own part in DipTrace ?
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    spend the time going through the tutorials. It is time well spent. With diptrace you can make any part you want. I've made many parts in there that are never included in a typical pcb library.
    For you vdd,vdo you should be creating/using net ports. and simply adding wires/components to certain nets. Seriously go through the tutorials that come with it.
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    ANY schematic capture/PCB layout tool has a learning curve.

Going through tutorials can be pretty dry and boring - after all, you just want to know how to do something that you're attempting right now, and to heck with the rest of the stuff, right?

That isn't the way it works. It's like anything else; you have to learn how to use the tools; one good way is by using it. A better way is by teaching it, because then you really have to know what the heck you're talking about.

With that in mind, I want you to write up your own "fast track" tutorial on DipTrace; how can someone capture a reasonably simple schematic (perhaps 6 to 12 parts, at least one of them custom) and then transform that schematic into a PCB.

If you'd like a good model to go by, look at Sparkfun's Eagle Tutorial.
    It starts here:

I've never heard of DipTrace before you mentioned it. So, enlighten the rest of us.
  4. CVMichael

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 3, 2007
    SgtWookie, I must have caught you at a bad time, also, I wonder if you replied the same if mcgyvr had a different response.

mcgyvr knows about it:

Also, if you want to try a program but you don't want to try it on your PC, you can always try it on a Virtual PC... it is also a very good way to filter "garbage" applications before you install them on your computer.

I like DipTrace, it has a collection of 90,000 parts, but I still did not find an unpolarized capacitor...

mcgyvr, I was using nets, all I needed to know is that I just have to change the type, and match it with the other one. So 2 nets with the same type will get them "connected". That was not that hard for you to tell me...

PS. I am going through the PDF tutorial now...
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I looked into my old Diptrace stuff. I did not buy the license as my Tango seems to have more capability, and I now use ExpressPCB for PCB's.

I can't shed light on your capacitor problem, but do consider that many more caps are non polar, especially in .1 uF capacities. That a pin may be designated by a square pad does not mean the cap is polarized. Most CAD programs have a convention that numbers all component pins, and further designates pin 1 with a different pad. That is to aid the user in seeing how the component is oriented on the PCB.

Signals going off the board (or entering it) usually get routed to a connector. Even if you are simply going to solder to a pad, you may make the program happier by placing a connector at that location. 2 pin headers are very common, as are .1 and .156 pitches.

Do not expect the autorouter to do a great job. You can almost always do better by hand. I have not relied on schematic capture for many years.
  6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    you will be better off now that you have taken the little bit of time to go through the tutorials versus me just spoon feeding you the information. I use diptrace all the time it is a great..great program (I tried eagle and hated it). While you seem a little cranky now you will thank me later :) peace