Using silicone adhesive (RTV)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by someonesdad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    This may be well-known to a number of folks, but I just stumbled on it. Hope it helps someone else...

I've used silicone adhesives for years and always grumbled when I came back into the shop to use a tube which only had a little used out of it and had come to find that it had hardened to uselessness.

Here's a simple way to fix this -- put a dab of Vaseline over the hole in the tip of the tube to seal out air before you put the cap on. To use the next time, just squirt a little out to clear the Vaseline and wipe off with a rag. Seal up again when done. Should work with other things that dry out too, but you might want to first experiment to make sure the Vaseline doesn't cause some other problem.

This is a corollary of the tip that apparently all women know of to coat the threads of fingernail polish bottles with Vaseline so the cap doesn't get stuck. This works great on the threads of PVC cement cans, which otherwise require some big pliers to get the cap off later. Helps seal out the air too.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This ought to be in the Tricks and Tips thread.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    A sheet metal screw (stainless might be preferred) also works for sealing tubes. The threads provide a better air-tight seal than just a nail or something similar. It avoids potential contamination for systems that might be sensitive to greases.

John