Using PWM output as I/O

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by johndeaton, Oct 15, 2016.

1. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi All,

I have an application where I want a pwm output at times and a constant on signal some times. I'm using a Microchip PIC16F1508. Is there a way to do this without reinitializing the port and pin every time?

Thanks

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You need to read the datasheet very carefully to see if you can set the PWM duty cycle to 0% and 100%. If you can do that then you can have the pin output a constant value.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    MMcLaren likes this.
  3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Probably. As PB indicated according to Equation 23-2:
    That implies that if DCH/L == 0, the pulse width is 0 so the pin level should be constant low.

You'll get a constant high if you set the pulse width > the period as noted later in the section:
    That said, I would prefer to do things explicitly i.e. turn the PWM off for a steady pin level then back on AND re-initialized for PWM. That way you avoid worrying about left over time in the PWM registers before the pin changes etc. But it should more or less work as you described. Give it a try and let us know.

Good luck.

Papabravo likes this.
  4. NorthGuy

Jun 28, 2014
    Simply set the PWMxOE bit to 1 if you want the pin to be controlled by the PWM module or to 0 if you want the pin to be controlled by LAT.

5. hasanz89

Jul 10, 2014
    This is the schematic ac-dc adapter on my thread about zener diode as a shunt regulator I found the zener diode is impractically in this circuit .Instead it used 1N4148 semiconductor diode