Using Proteus

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
I'm walking my first steps with Isis and soon with Ares, and I would like some help or comments on how to better do things.

I have been trying several pcb design programs, like Altium, Eagle, DipTrace and KiCad, and I found the learning scale being quite steep, or the tutorials did not exactly correspond on what the program was supposed to do. Far from intuitive.

So I went back to Circuitmaker and Traxxmaker, that were more similar to Traxedit, the DOS program I used to use but that doesn't run in Windows 7.

Yesterday I found Proteus and decided to give it a try. So far so good and it's pretty intuitive, which is good for now. No complete tutorial for it though, so I'm not sure how answer some questions.

If there's anyone out there with experience, please show up.

Thanks!

sevenfold4

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I'm walking my first steps with Isis and soon with Ares, and I would like some help or comments on how to better do things.

I have been trying several pcb design programs, like Altium, Eagle, DipTrace and KiCad, and I found the learning scale being quite steep, or the tutorials did not exactly correspond on what the program was supposed to do. Far from intuitive.

So I went back to Circuitmaker and Traxxmaker, that were more similar to Traxedit, the DOS program I used to use but that doesn't run in Windows 7.

Yesterday I found Proteus and decided to give it a try. So far so good and it's pretty intuitive, which is good for now. No complete tutorial for it though, so I'm not sure how answer some questions.

Thanks!
I have used proteus for many things, i am no professional, but i am sure i can help you with some of the questions.

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
Thanks, I'm not looking for professionals, which sometimes are a bit uptight or treat you like you are nothing.

Some questions may sound primitive or too basic, but I will start asking:

1) What are the simbols for V+ and V-? I found some inverted triangled with a line in the middle that seem to be them. Are there any other options?

2) How do you draw or set the rectangle lines that limit the schematic?

3) Is there any way to import libraries from other programs, like Altium or Eagle?

Thanks a lot!

Carlos

sevenfold4

Joined Jan 12, 2015
1) If i understand right, you can use AC/DC voltage source symbols and assign required values
2)When you are creating a project, you can pick a worksheet and pick different sizes (A3,A4 etc...)
3) I have not done it myself, but a quick google search says you can import libraries to Proteus. I don't know about the specific programs you mentioned.

I will be leaving for a little bit, after i get home and can boot up the program to refresh my memory i'll be more specific.

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
OK, I have modified the existing spst switch, adding two terminals and calling it toggle.

How do I add it into the library now? How do I design the pcb terminals for it, mostly pads?

I couldn't find a way to draw a new component, both for schematic and pcb.

sevenfold4

Joined Jan 12, 2015
OK, I have modified the existing spst switch, adding two terminals and calling it toggle.

How do I add it into the library now? How do I design the pcb terminals for it, mostly pads?

I couldn't find a way to draw a new component, both for schematic and pcb.
I am so sorry, i totally forgot about this thread. Do you still have some problems? Take pictures so i can understand what you mean

sammy75

Joined Nov 5, 2015

Thanks!

sammy75

Joined Nov 5, 2015
Hi, i'm a professional Proteus user for PCB. I have been using the software since it was version 5.0. You can reach me through PM.
I could use team viewer to put u through.
Proteus in my opinion is easier to use than Eagle: example, when manual routing, u can switch between layers through an automatically placed via just by double clicking or if you just want to switch between layers without placing a via, just press the space bar.
Eagle has more library parts than proteus which is a plus for eagle and with the latest design link integration, it makes eagle really professional since you can specify actual components BOM wisely in real time. I wish proteus had these, then it would be the best of all.

Mod edit:
Please do not show your Email on forum, it will bring the Spam to you and forum, and also don't try to reply to a old thread over 6 months, unless it has special reason or the thread there is no related to the year/date/time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.