Using LEDs off the grid

ek4313

Joined Dec 20, 2014
How far off grid are you? Or is just the path off grid (a few hundred feet). If you are close to grid, then some low-voltage landscape lighting is easy as the cable can be exposed or buried only 2" without conduit. Get the 10 or 12 gauge wire and use LED bulbs to minimized voltage drop along the length.
Hey GopherT thanks for the input, it's a great idea. I really want to build the circuit from scratch. I just want it to be one of those "I did it myself kinda things." Thanks again for the reply. Eddie

ek4313

Joined Dec 20, 2014
ek4313, I do apologise. For an interesting, efficient and easy to build LED driver; google "Joule thief". This is a great little circuit.
Hey Blocco, you're right that is very interesting. In fact, I kept following the click here's and it eventually directed me to a site that sells some components that are slightly prefabbed but leaves enough DIY that will give me the satisfaction that I did it myself. Thanks a lot, I think you've solved the mystery. Eddie

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You haven't said how long you want them to run on one (set) of batteries. Usually they use rechargeable batteries and a little solar cell to get around this problem.

ek4313

Joined Dec 20, 2014
You haven't said how long you want them to run on one (set) of batteries. Usually they use rechargeable batteries and a little solar cell to get around this problem.
Thank you ronv, that's a great observation. I'm thinking 125/150 hours over a five/six week period. I plan to use a single 5mm per luminary so I don't think battery life should be an issue. What do you think? They are actually going to be used as part of a remote Christmas display 2015. My family has a display that gets bigger each year . I'm just planning ahead. Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are tons of these projects online, putting the guts of a solar light into a jar. Some are really cute. I'd start with some cheap solar lights, change the LEDs to the colors I want, and graft the guts into Ball mason jars with sand in the bottom to stabilize them. Make the batteries easy to change out because there isn't enough sun at this time of year. You'll need to recharge them in the house a time or two.