Using LEDs off the grid

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ek4313, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ek4313

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I need to highlight a pathway in a location that's off the grid. I want to fab twelve luminaries and light each one using one LED per station. I have a limited knowledge of LEDs so i'm loaded with questions.

1. What is the brightest single 360 degree available?
    2. What resistor to use?
    3. Want to power each station individually with standard AA batteries. How many AA's should I use for
    each? Or would 9v be better?
    4. Need a tiny on/off switch for each station. What's available?
    5. It would be great if each one blinked slow fade on/off. This is not a deal breaker but it would be nice as
    long as it's not to complicated for a novice such as myself.

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi
    Does this help.?
    E

3. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Have you tried google? If you can't even be bothered to source a switch, why would you expect anyone else to do it for you? This project sounds way beyond your abilities.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What's wrong with something like this? I see these all over the place this time of year.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Google solar garden lights.

6. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Hey Eric, thanks for the info. That's stuff that I didn't know. This gives me place to start. Thanks again, Eddie

7. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Dear blocco a spirale, thanks for reading my post. I'll be glad to answer your concerns. Yes I have tried google. that's how I found this forum? Yes I am bothering to source a switch, thats why i'm here seeking information to know what to look for. Why would I want anyone else to source things for me? I don't, i'm simply seeking knowledge about some things that I have little knowledge of. Isn't one of the reasons this forum exists is to seek and share information? And lastly hank you for your concern regarding my abilities. Let's see now, the ability to purchase needed items.....check. The ability to mock up items.....check. The ability to solder items together..... check.. The ability to use electrical tape.....check. The ability to use heat shrink.....check. The ability to properly route wiring.....check. Well I think that pretty much covers it. Once i've appropriated all of the items I think i'll be okay but thanks for your concern, Eddie

We're all ignorant, just about different things.....Mark Twain

8. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Wayeh, you're right and I have used that before. I was wanting to put a different spin on it and try something different. Thanks for your reply. Eddie

9. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    MrChips, you're correct that would be the easiest and most sensible way. But i'm looking forward to experiment with something that i'm not familiar with. Thanks, Eddie

10. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    ek4313, I do apologise. For an interesting, efficient and easy to build LED driver; google "Joule thief". This is a great little circuit.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

There are no 360 ° leds.
    The widest angle I have see is about 120 °.
    There are some SMD leds with a higher angle upto 170 °.

For information on leds in general, have a look at this page of the EDUCYPEDIA:
    LED

For information on switches, look in the links of this page of the EDUCYPEDIA:
    Switches

Bertus

12. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Chinese claim to have it, but it is probably its enclosure optics.
    ---->
    Optosupply part number is OSMSXX100FC (for 6V) and others

Yes, best option is garden lights.

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    That's cool, but what differences are you hoping for?

14. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
  15. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Apology accepted, every things cool. To be honest with you I feel a little inferior on this forum because of my lack knowledge in electronics. For example I didn't know that there is no such thing as a 360 degree LED, now I do. The learning cure over the last couple of days has been significant thanks to all the help i'm getting here. (Thanks Guys) The actual assembly process shouldn't be a problem after I find out what components to use and what goes where. I think i'm on my way to get things sorted out. Thanks for suggestion about the video. I hope I wasn't too over the top with my reaction to your last post. Thanks Eddie

16. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Bertus, thanks for your post. I'll definitely check it out.

17. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    Externet thanks for the reply and the vid. You are correct about the garden lights. That's without a doubt the best option. I just want to experiment and learn about something that I know very little about. You know the saying "It's not necessarily the kill but the hunt" Thanks again Eddie

18. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
    I have used the candle in a bag and it works pretty good as long as it not a windy night. Plus I have to bring them in (which is a pain) each night because after the candle goes out the humidity in my area really does a job on the bags. I experimented with putting candles in different colored painted glass jars. The large size like pickle jars. This works fairly well plus I don't need to bring them in each night. But the paint on the glass dims the glow of the single candle power looking at it from the outside. So here's the method to my madness. I envision using led's. My plan is to use the jar lids, drill a hole the right size for a led holder. Then mount the led on the underside of the lid. Screw the lid onto the jar. Now the led acts like a dome light in a vehicle. Because I am using them in an area where there is no grid electricity I need to use DC. Mount some type of DC pack with mini switch and bodda bing I don't have to light candles, extinguish candles, or bring bags inside. Sorry about the long answer. Eddie

19. ek4313

Dec 20, 2014
  20. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    How far off grid are you? Or is just the path off grid (a few hundred feet). If you are close to grid, then some low-voltage landscape lighting is easy as the cable can be exposed or buried only 2" without conduit. Get the 10 or 12 gauge wire and use LED bulbs to minimized voltage drop along the length.