Using Joystick as data logger

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shocking1, Jul 12, 2010.

1. shocking1

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2010
    I have for some time been tantalized by the possibility of using the joystick (not MIDI) port for capturing data.
    When I look at sites like: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/pc_circuits.html#fake
    I see that there are 4 pots connectable from pin 1 to 3, 6, 11, and 13 of 100K.
    It seems to me that one could connect a shunted LDR from 1 to each of those other pins to capture data representing something like 10K to 100K.
    I am aware this is considered crude and unworthy by many suggesting it is unreliable and or slow.
    The data will be collected at no faster than once a minute and across 90K if it is off a little here and there by a few % I think this might be a viable procedure.
    Can anyone who has experimented with this clue me in as to the variability in reading (%) and is this even possible??
    I will need to get a recycled joystick/MIDI card to do this so does anyone have a reason for particular preferences??

2. Norfindel

Mar 6, 2008
    I think it's possible, but you will have lots of noise in the reading, as the ADC of a joystick port works by testing the discharge time of a capacitor, and is not accurate. Never throws the same result twice.

3. pilko

Dec 8, 2008
    I have been using a game port (joystick port) for a 4 channel logger for years.-- works great. ---google "thermometer plus"

pilko

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    He actually say "not MIDI" meaning not a gameport.

So are you using an USB joystick, and why do you post images of a MIDI connector?

5. Norfindel

Mar 6, 2008
    Back in the old days (up to not so long ago), the MIDI connector and joystick connector shared the same connector on audio boards, a D-type 15 pin connector. That's the only connector that should be called joystick connector, as USB is not a dedicated joystick connector.