Using flip flop show some characters on 7seg display

oskiyano

Joined May 29, 2016
i am student and i have a homework

using flip flop i have to show on 7seg display these characters: U, L, P, S, A, O, E, 5, 8, F

i do something on proteus isis but there are too many cables and it was being so mixed. when i make a research for decoder i find bcd decoder but it uses for numerical characters. how can i display there letters on 7seg easily? after simulating on proteus i will make a real project. please help me, thanks everyone.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Post a more complete description of the problem and your work. Why are you required to use flip flops? The BCD to seven segment decoders you looked at don't use them. How will you differentiate between S and 5?

You should post in the Homework Help forum so members don't just give you answers.

oskiyano

Joined May 29, 2016
Welcome to AAC!

Post a more complete description of the problem and your work. Why are you required to use flip flops? The BCD to seven segment decoders you looked at don't use them. How will you differentiate between S and 5?

You should post in the Homework Help forum so members don't just give you answers.
Hello! I don't want to make my homework from anyone. I need a help for showing letters on 7segment. my homework have to maden with flip flops. I choose jk flip flop and I use 7 jk flip flops on my circuit. But there are too many cables, so I need to find a easy way for it. BCD to 7segment helps me for showing numerical characters but I have to show alphabetical letters. I hope you understand my problem. Thanks again

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hello! I don't want to make my homework from anyone. I need a help for showing letters on 7segment. my homework have to maden with flip flops. I choose jk flip flop and I use 7 jk flip flops on my circuit. But there are too many cables, so I need to find a easy way for it. BCD to 7segment helps me for showing numerical characters but I have to show alphabetical letters. I hope you understand my problem. Thanks again
BCD stands for Binary Coded Decimal, which are numbers 0 to 9. NO LETTERS. You have letters. Therefore throw BCD out of your head. It is useless to you.

The normal 4 bit set of hex values has following letters: A, B, C, D, E, F. IT DOES NOT HAVE U, L, P. Therefore you have to be creative to produce these letters.
http://pic-microcontroller.com/7-se...7-segment-led-or-lcd-displays-using-pic16c84/

Show the truth table for your work. If you don't show one, then I wish you good luck and I am out of here.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The first thing you need to do is determine the 7-segment display patterns for the letters you need to display. Have you done that? There is no universal pattern set, but there are several very common ones that are easy to find using Google or whatever search engine you like.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Welcome to AAC!

Some pattern sets don't distinguish between them, assuming that context will be sufficient. Others do distinguish between them, usually by leaving the center segment off in 'S' and 'Z'.