Using FET as a switch project (simple)

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by bradix23, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bradix23

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Guys, can you help me in a project that uses FET as a switch? Please suggest a simple yet useful project that suits a beginner like me.

I know how to bias a FET but our teacher never taught us its application.

THANKS!

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    What voltage and current do you need to switch?

What is your source to switch with (e.g. microcontroller, comparator, etc)?

Switching with a MOSFET is straightforward and easy. Not so much with a JET. Most everything done today is with Bi-Polar Junction Transistors (BJTs) or MOSFETs.

Both BJT and MOSFETs can switch or amplify, but there are many different types of each, designed for small signal applications, switching applications, low voltage, high voltage, low current, high current, and about everything in between.

The 2N7000 is the "General Purpose" N-MOSFET in the way the 2N2222 is the "General Purpose" NPN Transistor. Typically, the 2N7000 is used for logic level switching or a front end to an amp, while the 2N2222 is used as a switch or audio amplifier.

3. bradix23

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks THATONEGUY. But i wonder what can i make with a switching MOSFET. I am just a beginner in electronics so i dont really know a lot. Can you suggest simple applications for the switch MOSFET?

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    The most common place switching MOSFETs are seen on this forum are in H-Bridge motor drivers, and Switch Mode Power Supplies.

If you search for H-Bridge (or variations of that), or "SMPS", you'll find a lot of schematics, as well as details on what's needed to switch MOSFETs. Most all are Power MOSFETs, since both power supplies and motor drivers are typically high current.