Using European sauna heater in the USA

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Myllymaki, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Myllymaki

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I am a novice with a question I'm wondering if anyone can help me with. I apologize for my ignorance, but.....

I'm looking at certain European model sauna heaters that claim to run on "either 400 V 3-phase or 240 V 1-phase". 400 V 3-phase is common in northern Europe. I have read that these models will not work in the US. I am aware, of course, that there are many models of sauna heaters manufactured for the US, but for reasons I won't bore you with, I'm not interested in those models. My question is this: if these models claim to work with 240 V 1-phase, would they not work on a 240V circuit in a US home?

I've attached the instructions PDF of one of these models. The cover page shows the different currents it can supposedly work with. Page 8 has further discussion of different configurations for hooking it up to a power source. I'm basically trying to figure out if one of these models can be used on a 240V circuit in the US without any special modifications, etc.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Yes, it can be used in the US. I read the manual and see two models which can be used here. The 10.5 kW model is not available in 240 V version.

3. sootydog

Jul 23, 2011
    Be aware that both sides of US 240 are 120 v above ground, unlike e.g. UK 240 where one side is neutral/ground which is what the unit may be expecting. If it's not designed and approved for use in the US I would be very nervous about using it, especially since it involves water, high temperatures, and uninsulated humans.