Using electronics in the auto

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
For some time, I have been using a small audio amp with my MP3 player in the truck, but I have been using alkaline cells for power. Now, I would like to power the amp from the auto power supply. The amp circuit is rated for up to 18V. Do I need to take some precautions to protect the amp from noise and load dumps, and if so, what? Thanks.

Last edited:

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
I had a look at the datasheet and there are no specific recommendations.
I see there are different versions most with an absolute max voltage of 15V and the LM386N-4 with 22V

If it were my amp I would simply drop the input voltage on the 12V+ side 0.7 V through a 3A diode (3A to future proof for higher loads) or better still 1.4V with two in series. This will keep you well clear of the 15Volt limit
Then a simple lowpass filter made from a suitable 100μH series inductor and a 0.22μF capacitor should filter out any line-born noise.

If you still get noise you could try increasing the capacitor value

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do I need to take some precautions to protect the amp from noise and load dumps, and if so, what? Thanks.
A lot of folks use a 7812 regulator to smooth things out. That just leaves the big stuff to worry about, spikes and whatnot. A 15v zener on the input maybe?

If you want to use valuable electronics, I might look more into the problem but in my limited experience, things seem to survive just fine without extraordinary measures.