Using electronic output from computer to control a solenoid

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cpetrosk, Aug 9, 2012.

1. cpetrosk

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I have to build 4 solenoids that can be controlled by a computer to be used in an optics lab.

I have a National insturments Daq card part number USB-6008 or USB 6009. It will output a max of 5.8 V and has 12 outputs.

I have a solenoid from Deltrol controls part 53803-87. It needs 12VDC and 21 Watts. It extends when voltage is applied and will stay extended when the voltage is turned off. To retract it, the polarity is revered.

I need help wiring everything together so that the motor can run off 120 vAC (Us wall socket.)

I thought if I can use a power supply to convert 120 vAC to 12 vDc. I found one that has 1 Amp, 12 watts output and is regulated.

I can use the one power supply to power the 2 relays. The relays have control voltage of 3-32 vDc and operation voltage of 5-60 vDc. On one of the relays I can swap the plority of the dc power in when I wire it.
    Then connect the relays to the motor. And use my 5 vDc output from the dac card to interact with the relays.

Does this plan make sense. ANything I need to change or a way to simplyfy it.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Not making sense:

12V power supply with 1 amp and 12V solenoid that needs 21 watts.
    3-32V relay...is that a solid state relay?
    Do you have more than one kind of relay?

More details please.
    Some kind of drawing. Even a block diagram would be helpful.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You switched from solenoids to a motor. I'm confused.

4. cpetrosk

Aug 9, 2012
    The relay is a solid state relay. I thought That I can use two of the same relays. One to control the solenoid retracting and the other to control it when it extends.

I can buy a different power supply if the one I descibed is wrong. I am new to circuits so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Solid state relays don't usually have enough output options for what you are describing. Can you name the relay by its part number or a datasheet?

Some kind of drawing. Even a block diagram would be helpful.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. cpetrosk

Aug 9, 2012
    the motor was a typo. I meant solenoid.
    the relay is from newark. part number 96f6443

I don't have a block diagram. sorry.
    The basic problem is
    1. I have 0-5.8 v output from my Dac card. With 12 output slots.
    2. stuff I need to built to make this work.
    3. a 12 vDC, 21 watt solenoid extends. It retracts when the polrity is reversed.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Datasheet.
    Can you tell us which page the relay is on?

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks, that makes more sense now.

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

What you are describing will not work, you can not use a solid state relay to reverse the polarity on anything.... solid state relays only have one contact for control and one for the load, in order to change polarity on the solenoid you will need to swap both wires going to the solenoid.... solid state relays will not work as you intended...

You need one 5 volt DPDT relay to switch the solenoid polarity and one 5 volt SPST relay to control the power to the solenoid, just make sure the contacts are rated for the load (solenoid)... with your 12 outputs, that will give you 2 outputs per solenoid, so it will leave you with 2 outputs left.

Better yet, here you go, this should be adequate for what you need, you will need a setup like this for every solenoid(so 4 all together).... You may be able to use one of your SSR's to use for controlling the power source to the solenoid, if you do not "control" your solenoid power, then once you actuate it one way it will be powered all the time and could draw too much current, I would only keep it powered if you need it to "hold" the position, if not, turn the power off once you actuate it one way to keep it from heating up....

Solenoid Control.png

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's what I was barking at but didn't have the experience to rule it out without at least trying to find out which SSR is being discussed here.

11. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Well, you probably could with a DPDT SSR ;) (never done it myself, always used DPDT mechanical relays for DC loads like this and used SSR's for single load), but most usually like to "work" under load, and swapping polarities could cause issues when switching....

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't know if there is such a thing as a DPDT SSR. Is there?