Using EEPROM for data storage

mattieg

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Hi

I'm designing a power monitor and am going to have a portable display that stores various values over time. This is wirelessly connected to a detector circuit that uses a cs5463 ic.

My question is, would using eeprom be ok for writing to quite regulary. I'm planning to be able to show values that will be cumulative over time (around a months data or year if possible). It would be things like max current, cost of power over a week etc.

I beleive this will require a lot of re-writing data stored and have read that eeprom isn't great for this?

I'm using a PIC18F4520 and the eeprom I am looking at is the 25LC1024 from microchip.

The unit is going to battery powered so need non voltaile memory thats cheap. I was thinking that I could reduce the number of writes by storing the data in on chip memory then periodically write this to the eeprom so would only lose a bit of data.

Its only designed for use in domestic situation so accuracy isn't crucial so can afford to lose some data.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might be interested in an outfit called Ramtron. They sell static memory products in both serial and parallel access. Mouser Electronics carries some of their stuff in their catalog (page 248). 4 meg (256 x 8) for $39.60.

mattieg

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Bit on the pricey side. Also am in UK and have to pay £16 to get it over here. Is static ram gona be the better choice than eeprom? I was hoping to spend no more than £2-3.

sammora28

Joined Dec 9, 2008
hallo iam a new arab ingineering visitor and it is the first time to me to share and working on the net and i hope to find whomthey can helpe me to improve my experiences both in the net and high advanced electronics , thanks

shoaibali

Joined Jan 25, 2009
Hi

I'm designing a power monitor and am going to have a portable display that stores various values over time. This is wirelessly connected to a detector circuit that uses a cs5463 ic.

My question is, would using eeprom be ok for writing to quite regulary. I'm planning to be able to show values that will be cumulative over time (around a months data or year if possible). It would be things like max current, cost of power over a week etc.

I beleive this will require a lot of re-writing data stored and have read that eeprom isn't great for this?

I'm using a PIC18F4520 and the eeprom I am looking at is the 25LC1024 from microchip.

The unit is going to battery powered so need non voltaile memory thats cheap. I was thinking that I could reduce the number of writes by storing the data in on chip memory then periodically write this to the eeprom so would only lose a bit of data.

Its only designed for use in domestic situation so accuracy isn't crucial so can afford to lose some data.

Thanks for your help
25LC1024 is quite slow in writing even a single byte (5ms approx.). If timing is not an issue that use of EEPROM would be fine. Otherwise, I would suggest serial Non-Volatile memory from Ramtron

Regards
Shoaib Ali

GirishC

Joined Jan 23, 2009
Hi

Thanks for your help
If you are very tight on price and pins and also you want to stick to 24CXX series. Then one thing you implement circular stack. So you keep stacking up on new location when done you you can go back to first location and start over. You will get pretty good throughput from the chip.