Using Demux and 3-input NAND

freemind

Joined Oct 17, 2010
How to implement, ab(c)'+a(b)'+a'b'c using 1-8 DEMUX(74138=decoder/demultiplexer) and 3 3-input NAND gates only.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Why not use only one 3-input NAND gate?

I guess you could hook up the other two as NOT gates, then double-negate the output...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Transform your function to a complemented product. The terms of the product will be the maxterms that you need to extract from your DEMUX and drive to the NAND gate. I don't see the need for more than one NAND gate.

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Transform your function to a complemented product. The terms of the product will be the maxterms that you need to extract from your DEMUX and drive to the NAND gate. I don't see the need for more than one NAND gate.
There is really no need to transform the function. If you check the data sheet on a 74138 decoder/demultiplexer, you'll see that the outputs are active LOW.

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
EDIT:

I have to reconsider the problem. I just realized that I misread the function.

I thought we were dealing with abc' + ab'c + a'b'c

(note the "c" in the second term ... that wasn't given)

freemind

Joined Oct 17, 2010

can you please elaborate on this step "The terms of the product will be the maxterms".

Okay so what I get is that this function is equivalent to (a+b+c)(a+b'+c)(a+b'+c')(a'+b'+c'), it can be simplified but we don't need to simplify right?

it can be rewritten (a'b'c')'(a'bc')'(a'bc)'(abc)'. Don't really know what to do further.Thanks for your help.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
We have:
f=abc'+ab'+a'b'c
=( (abc')' (ab')' (a'b'c)' )'
=( (a'+b'+c) (a'+b) (a+b+c') )'

We see now that the desired function is built from a NAND gate that combines the terms (a'+b'+c), (a'+b) and (a+b+c').
Thus, f=1 when one of these terms is 0. This happens when abc=110 or 10X or 001. You can take these signals from a 3-to-8 DEMUX. With inputs abc, the outputs 6,4,5 and 1 will be set to LOW for each of the above cases and can be used as inputs to the NAND gate.

However, this implementation requires one OR gate, which isn't available and can't be constructed from the two remaining NAND gates. Are you sure the initial expression isn't abc'+ab'c+a'b'c?

freemind

Joined Oct 17, 2010
We have:
f=abc'+ab'+a'b'c
=( (abc')' (ab')' (a'b'c)' )'
=( (a'+b'+c) (a'+b) (a+b+c') )'

We see now that the desired function is built from a NAND gate that combines the terms (a'+b'+c), (a'+b) and (a+b+c').
Thus, f=1 when one of these terms is 0. This happens when abc=110 or 10X or 001. You can take these signals from a 3-to-8 DEMUX. With inputs abc, the outputs 6,4,5 and 1 will be set to LOW for each of the above cases and can be used as inputs to the NAND gate.

However, this implementation requires one OR gate, which isn't available and can't be constructed from the two remaining NAND gates. Are you sure the initial expression isn't abc'+ab'c+a'b'c?
No, pretty sure about the expression.
BTW here we have a 74138 IC, and you are using it as a decoder.
Thanks for help.

Last edited:

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Since no body seems to be getting anywhere here, I'll post what I think is a valid solution (see attachment).

This solution only uses two NAND gates. If three are required, you should be able to figure it out from here (there are a few ways).

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You got me wrong. What I asked about was wheather Y1 is activated for A2A1A0=001 or for A2A1A0=100. Since you havent referred to a specific IC it is not clear if the Select pins are sorted A2A1A0 or A0A1A2.

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Okay, gotcha!

It's a 74138 chip, as specified by the OP.

An input of A0 = 1, A1 = 0, A2=0 results in output Y1 = 0 (all others = 1)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Your circuit won't work. Here is the analysis of the output function:

F=(Y3Y5Y7)'
=( (A2'A1A0)' (A2A1'A0)' (A2A1A0)' )'
=A2'A1A0+A2A1'A0+A2A1A0
=c'a(bc)'+ca'(bc)'+ca(bc)'
=c'a(b'+c')+ca'(b'+c')+ca(b'+c')
=ac'+ab'c'+a'b'c+ab'c
=ac'+b'c

which is different from the required boolean function.

A correct circuit would be:
freemind.png

I couldn't meet the requirements though. I neede either two more NANDS or one OR or XOR (they are interchangeable in this case).

If anyone else has an idea on this, please stand up.

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Your circuit won't work. Here is the analysis of the output function:

F=(Y3Y5Y7)'
=( (A2'A1A0)' (A2A1'A0)' (A2A1A0)' )'
=A2'A1A0+A2A1'A0+A2A1A0
=c'a(bc)'+ca'(bc)'+ca(bc)'
=c'a(b'+c')+ca'(b'+c')+ca(b'+c')
=ac'+ab'c'+a'b'c+ab'c
=ac'+b'c

which is different from the required boolean function.
Better look again!

Try comparing the truth tables for my function and the original ... they're the same!

zgozvrm

Joined Oct 24, 2009
The original function:
abc' + ab' + a'b'c
= abc' + ab'(1) + a'b'c
= abc' + ab'(c' + c) + a'b'c
= abc' + ab'c' + ab'c + a'b'c
= ac'(b + b') + b'c(a + a')
= ac'(1) + b'c(1)
= ac' + b'c