Using C and ASM

corsair

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to use both C and ASM in my programming. I am mainly using PIC18F4550 assembly, but there are things that are just much easier in C that I would eventually just like to code up really quick, and call it from assembly. For example, if you were helping me with my other post, I was trying to do some simple hex to bcd conversions that was just a nightmare for me. Plus, you can't divide or multiply by non-integers.

Anyways, let's get to the point. As a small assignment, I have three .c files named bottom.c, middle.c, and top.c. I need to replace middle.c with middle.asm (I make this).

middle.c:
Rich (BB code):
#include "P18F4550.h" 		//local copy of version found in MCC18 directory

int bottom (int dividend, int divisor);

int middle(int arg1, int arg2)
{
	int middlelocal;

middlelocal	= arg1;
	middlelocal += bottom(arg1, arg2);

return middlelocal;
}
As I was starting with my middle.asm file, I kinda realized I don't use arguments in any of my function calls since I store the data all in registers.

This is what I have so far in my middle.asm:
Rich (BB code):
LIST P=18F4550		
	#include "P18F4550.INC"

extern bottom

middle:
        ; Define middlelocal variable (since it's an int, should I res 4 bytes?)
	local middlelocal
        ; Get arg2
        movff	TOSU,arg2U
	movff	TOSH,arg2H
	movff	TOSL,arg2L
	; Get arg1
	pop
	movff	TOSU,arg1U
	movff	TOSH,arg1H
	movff	TOSL,arg1L
	; Set middlelocal = arg1?
	movff	arg1L,middlelocal
        ; TODO: Push variables onto stack, but not sure what to do with middlelocal

return
	end
Here are my questions:
1) When it's just a local variable, is it best to just use "local" or should I just make a variable at the top by doing "middlelocal res 1."
2) How do I call a C function from assembly that has arguments?
3) How do I make a function in assembly language that uses arguments?

I was trying to search for tutorials, but all I can find are tutorials for C or for asm.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
It would be easier to write the program in C, and make calls to ASM routines....
You will just have to declare the ASM instructions in your C program...
Example;

asm volatile("nop");

or

#define Nop() asm("NOP");
#define Reset() asm("RESET");

B. Morse

Last edited: