Using boys switch in low voltage circuit

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
First, the title should read "House Switch".

Let me state that I've read the cautions about using an AC rated switch in a DC circuit. It shouldn't be done because of the arcing danger.

But I'm going to ask anyway. In a 6V circuit, with 6 flashlight incandescent bulbs, can it be done? The bulbs are rated 1.6W.

If not, is anyone aware of a DC mechanical timer switch (as in a bathroom fan switch)?

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
At approx. 1 amp and only 6 volts, you shouldn't have a problem other than a shorter than normal life cycle for the contacts. Only use would reveal the short comings.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Using AC rated switches in lower voltage DC circuits is usually not a problem.

Most switches that are rated for 250 VAC @ X amps are also rated at 30 VDC X amps for the same service life.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Using AC rated switches in lower voltage DC circuits is usually not a problem.

Most switches that are rated for 250 VAC @ X amps are also rated at 30 VDC X amps for the same service life.
I know of some E Switch switches (100SP1T1B1M1QEH for one) that are rated 120VAC or 28VDC with a resistive 5A load. They are also rated for 250VAC (but no DC rating) with a 2A resistive load.

Honeywell makes some switches with the 250VAC/30VDC rating but they are >>$100USD.

(For 6V and a lamp (resistive) load djsfantasi should be fine with an AC switch.)