using ATmega to drive AC motor

araq

Joined Aug 26, 2008
hi!
im new to the forum and hope it valuable for my project help.

let me describe my project:

i have to drive an AC motor .
the system input is a dc bus of some tens of voltage (10-36)v.
the signal required to drive ac motor is however 20Vrms with a constant frequency of 500hz and the current may be 2A at max.

im planning to use ATmega162 to generate 6 PWM signals, the controller will generate sinusoidally varying pwm with phase delay of 120 degree for each pair of pwm. the pwm output will then be fed to the gate drivers and then finally to the the three half bridges containing MOSFETS. when it will be applied to the motor, the motor will act as a low pass filter.

but im very much new to the AVR. please let me know of some suggestions to use the specified chip.
also give me suggestions/positive criticism about my proposed design.

regards,
araq

araq

Joined Aug 26, 2008
i have visited different sites but unfortunately no one has used atmega162 for my application. they usually talks about application spsecific controllers but i have no access to these microcontrollers. they have several built in features which i have to develop in atmega162 myself and infact i need support in this particular field.

araq

Joined Aug 26, 2008
i have searched further, there is another option to use MC3PHAC to generate pw signals other than microcontroller, have anyone worked with this particular ic and can give me some idea of what would be more suitable.