Using an Wall Wart as My Power Supply?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I'm thinking on creating my own power supply from scratch and using some items:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3832491&clickid=cart

Variable Resistor (Knob)
Flip Switch
Terminal Screw Ons (I forgot what to call them)

I was wondering if it would be a good idea just to wire strip the adapter and connect it through same size wires through the controls then opening up my old PC's power supply and modify that so I can put controls on it, but since I have limited work space I thought it would be nice to create a small power supply for my circuits then a giant ugly looking box taking up space on my desk where I do everything from surfing the internet to creating circuits. :)

Thanks, Andrew.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
$23 for a 12v/500ma wallwart is a rip off.

Look at these places for much better deals:

All Electronics
BGMicro
Electronix Express
Hosfelt
MP Jones

Many different voltages and currents, many different prices, many regulated or unregulated. All on the web.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Thanks Bill for your reply! :) Very helpful information I'm going to have a fun night reading through your material!

I already have that adapter I posted and I stripped the wires and tested it on my multimeter and it's showing now power on this wall wart? Is this thing a dud or do I have my multimeter set wrong or maybe do I have to trigger this wall wart somehow that I bought from RadioShack? And yeah I release now I could have gotten a better deal on it... I'm going to do more research before I buy a bunch of new stuff for my project.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As you've already heard, Radio Shack is convienent, but they are not the best deals. What part of the world are you? One of the reasons we attach our location to the profile (and it shows up in the upper right hand corner) is parts, it is easier to recommend sources that way.

I'll use Radio Shack part number in many of my articles to make it easier to identify what I'm talking about. If you are looking for cheaper sources just ask.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I second the comments about finding wall warts. If you're in a hurry, go to a nearby second-hand store. They often have lots of them and they're usually 25 cents to a dollar or so. When you find them being tossed out, grab them and toss them in your scrap box for later use. If you need a bunch, then try the suppliers that Jaguarjoe gave (shop around!).

Most of the wall warts I've used aren't very well regulated. Go to Bill's link given above and find out how to add an LM317 for regulation.

Oh, and read the specs carefully. Make sure the output is DC -- often a wall wart is only a transformer in drag.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
As you've already heard, Radio Shack is convienent, but they are not the best deals. What part of the world are you? One of the reasons we attach our location to the profile (and it shows up in the upper right hand corner) is parts, it is easier to recommend sources that way.

I'll use Radio Shack part number in many of my articles to make it easier to identify what I'm talking about. If you are looking for cheaper sources just ask.

Oooh okay, thats the first time I've ever seen the location actually being used for something useful. :) I'm actually in Scottsdale, Arizona. I'm hopping to move to NJ sometime this summer. :)

Anyways I tried playing around with the wall adapter more and I think it's a dud, is it better and safer to buy a female connector for my circuit for the wall wart? What is the technical term for it too?

Thanks, Andrew.