Using a multimeter continuity test on a cap

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronewb, Jun 6, 2012.

1. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I'm trying to troubleshoot an audio breakout box basically a 2.5mm audio plug- capacitor inline to block DC-to XLR connectors I know that caps block DC how can I do a continuity test from the 2.5MM to the XLR connector? I think the capacitor block the continuity test on my meter!!!

2. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Yes the capacitor will "block" the continuity test on your meter because your meter is sending out a DC voltage for test purposes. What kind of test equipment and related gear do you have available to use? Do you have an oscilloscope?

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Just test the portion up to and then the portion after the cap.

4. vpoko

Jan 5, 2012
    You could put an audio signal in through the 2.5mm plug, connect your meter in series between the XLR plug and ground (which should be common to the audio source's ground), then check for current.

5. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Yes I have a scope So I guess I could send an audio signal like vpoko mentioned and look at the signal. I figured out it's the connector but I'd like to know what's the best way to troubleshoot a capacitor when it's in a circuit and also I don't always have access to a scope!! Can I charge a capacitor with a 9V battery? Or I can only charge it with AC?

6. vpoko

Jan 5, 2012
    Why do you want to charge it? If it's broken, isn't the only solution to replace it?

7. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    It's not broken I want to be able to test a capacitor in a circuit

8. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Google "ESR meter". There are some home brew circuits out there that can test a capacitor in circuit. ESR is Equivalent Series Resistance, the meter basically inputs a small signal into the capacitor and determines its resistance. There are also some videos on youtube showing how it works.

9. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    That's where I am in my research... ESR meters on ebay!!! I have the Fluke 87 DVM which test capacitors so far all I've been able to test are non electrolytic caps When I test an electrolytic cap I get O.L (overload)

10. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    OK I think I found the problem!!! There's 2 caps in that circuit One to block DC to a microphone and another cap to block DC on the audio output. I tested it it with 1K sine wave the cap for the mic passes the wave but the cap for the audio output has nothing. It's a 10V 10u What other values could I use to replace that cap just in case they don't have what I'm looking for at the electronic store?