Using a linear CCD array

Shozzza

Joined Oct 1, 2012
Hello AAC users, this is my first post here, very interested in electronics and hope to learn alot during my time here.

Doing a little physics project at university and i've been given a Toshiba TCD102D CCD Linear Image Sensor to use. (Also have access to a USB CCD but almost 100% would need to use the TCD102D Linear 2048 x 1 pxl)

CCD LINK 1 - http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/107522/ETC/TCD102D.html

CCD LINK 2 - http://elcodis.com/parts/5774396/TCD102D.html

In short I want to use it to view a spectrum of diffracted visible light in real time on a computer, I need to connect it to a computer but cannot find out how to use it as the supplied sheets are too technical for me and my supervisor.

I understand I will need to use something like, PIC's, ADC's, EPP links?, Asynchronus Ethernet boards, etc to communicate with the computer.

I have come across information advising on connecting it to the printer port or serial port then dumping the data and then writing some visual basic code to sort it out. Is this possible?

I understand there may need to be timing considerations, matching the ccd clock speed and vb code to read at correct times and work together.

This is all very new to me and not sure where to go any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Need to have some sort or basic summary outline by friday, reasonably low budget and will run for maybe 3 months.

Thanks in advance.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The datasheet for that device tells nothing about how to connect or use it. Unless you can find more info on how it works, I don't see how you can use it. It's far too complex a device to guess at how to connect to it. :(

Last edited:

Shozzza

Joined Oct 1, 2012
This is what I feared, I have contacted Toshiba and other organisations for further information, can anyone perhaps advise on the other aspects on my project?

Shozzza

Joined Oct 1, 2012
Nothing wrong with it, it is probably what I will use as I cannot see the sensor going anywhere soon..

If I use the USB CCD which direction should I go in?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Nothing wrong with it, it is probably what I will use as I cannot see the sensor going anywhere soon..

If I use the USB CCD which direction should I go in?
Up -- down -- sideways?

Can't help unless I know what the part number is of the device. ;)